Quadrans 6 coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Andres2, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

These 6 coins came in a big lot of bronze Roman republic coins.
    I wonder if the smallest dark green coin is a Quadrans too , no 3 dots as on the other
    5 coins.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cucumbor, chrsmat71, icerain and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I really like the Hercules on the bottom right!

4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The bottom middle one does not look like a quadrans to me. Not sure what it is since the reverse seems completely worn down. The top middle one is a Crawford 106/7 "Staff and club" series quadrans with a staff on the reverse, thought to have been struck in Etruria during the Second Punic War, and likely under C. Calpurnius Piso(or possibly M. Marcellus, but I think that's very unlikely). The bottom left is a star series quadrans, not one I'm super familiar with, and these are somewhat complicated types, but this paper by Andrew McCabe and Richard Schaefer will help you fully ID it if you haven't yet.

I can take a look at the others later when I'm not on mobile if you'd like but you've got a nice little group of coins there.

5. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet lookin' bunch of examples, Andres2 => I love the top-right example with the cool stow-away on deck (horse, donkey?)

... very cool (congrats)

=> ummm, I have an AE Quadrans example (does anybody want to see it for the 942nd time?!)

Anonymous AE Quadrans Prow & Elephant.jpg

:rolleyes:

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Super cool variety of RR coins!!

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's fun lookin'g group, is that a donkey above the galley prow?

8. Andres2

Thanks for the link red_spork , I have no ref.numbers yet, apart for the staff & club
    one, thanks to you.
    No idear if its donkey, horse or goat on deck , stevex6 & chrsmat71.
    here are some better pics of the 2 mentioned by you 2 and Ancientnoob.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

from the same lot:
    [​IMG]
    more to come

9. Andres2

First one is Crawford 72 , The second one has no dots, not sure if that is a sextans
    coin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Second is a Cr. 38/7 semuncia I believe. Both semuncia and sextans of this series used mercury of the style on your coin but semuncia has no dots and is generally about 5 grams.

Pishpash likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

RR Anon AE Semuncia 217-215 Mercury Prow S 620 Cr 38-7 O-R.jpg
    RR Anon AE Semuncia 217-215 Mercury Prow S 620 Crawford 38/7
    I think Sporky asked me if it were scyphate some time ago... I think the guys wacked this one pretty hard and gave it a slight bowl-shape!

stevex6, Pishpash, Mikey Zee and 5 others like this.
  12. Andres2

Thanks red_spork, beautifull Semuncia Alegandron !

The reason I bought this lot, where these As Janus coins, I think these go from around 200 BC
    for the first 2 coins and then go through the 2nd Century to the beginning of the first Century BC for the last one at 15 gram.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stevex6, Mikey Zee, Bing and 5 others like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fun to have really HEFTY coins. It is why I love these Asses as well as Aes Grave.

Mikey Zee and Pishpash like this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A very wonderful variety has already been posted...Some of mine; Quadrans, Semis, Triens, Uncia and a Victoriatus:
    RR quadrans.jpg RR semis etruria anonymous.jpg rr triens.jpg rr uncia Attic roma and prow.JPG rr uncia Attic roma and prow reverse 212 bc.JPG victoriatus, agora.jpg

stevex6, zumbly, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted