Qing Dynasty Silver Sycee

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Loong Siew, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2.5 tales (96g). High purity silver boat shaped sycee. Posthumous stamp of 光緒元寶 transl. Monetary Treasure of the Guangxu Emperor.

Whilst everyone is familiar with the traditional Chinese cast cash coins, silver ingots of high purity silver formed the larger denominational currencies of China during the imperial days up until the very early years of the Republic. Known in the west as Sycees, the terminology was derived from the Cantonese pronunciationmog the word 細絲 which literally meant fine and refined. These are all traded and worth their value in their weight adopting the traditional Chinese measurement system of Taels (roughly 40g) average. Average traded sycees range around 2.5 - 10 tales with the largest ones reaching 50 tales (est 1.8kg). Smaller sycees of 1 tael were used predominantly as gifts or charms stamped with auspicious characters. Most commercial sycees are often stamped with the minters' Mark or seal of verification bearing the assayers' name or business.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well, that's different! What is the year or general period of time?

spirityoda and Loong Siew like this.
  4. Loong Siew

Problems with sycees are that they rarely if ever put in their year. But this one would probably be around late 19th to early 20th century.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, you generally tell by style. Besides China, sycees also were made in Vietnam, Thailand, and other areas of SE Asia with Chinese populations. A whole bunch of Mexican 8 Reales were melted down over the years to make sycees. Earlier sycees were made by melting down Persian coins. All duties due for the silk road trade were payable in silver Persian coins, first Parthian, then Sassanid, and later Islamic.

6. Loong Siew

China's economy was largely based off the silver standard. All trade with China must be exchanged with silver. As a trivia, the Chinese word for Bank is Yin Hang 銀行 which literally meant "Silver Repository"

Jwt708 likes this.
  7. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Nice sycee! Great piece!

8. Loong Siew

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Cool post! I enjoy seeing these coins I'm unfamiliar with.

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. Anthony H

Anthony H Visit my "Coin-stagram:" @anthonythecoinman

Hello,
    I am asian, so I can tell that the stamps show the emperor, Guang Hsu the second last emperor of the Qing Dynasty. You should test if this is silver, since there can be fakes in china that are made of base metal!
    -Cheers
    Anthony H

Loong Siew likes this.
  11. Loong Siew

Hi. Thanks for the concern. I am fully aware of the b fakes from China. I have been collecting coins for some time (primarily silver) to reasonably distinguish base metals from silver. There are multiple ways to test which have probably been shared before which I won't detail here.

Nevertheless you are right about Guang Hsu. However point to note, the stamps are likely later additions to increase its appeal. Most sycees carry other types of inscriptions in particular the issuing silversmith. During the early Republic days up to mid 20th century, sellers were known to include such add on to increase their appeal for a premium as opposed to a blank piece.

Anthony H likes this.
  12. Anthony H

However, those stamps can be faked by counterfeiters to boost up the intrinsic value of the coin. I also have a
    东三省 Hsuan Tung 20 cents, I also will acquire a
    云南 Guang Hsu 50 cents
    Finally I have a couple genuine Beiyang Zhilli 34th years and 29th years of Guang Hsu!

Anthony H

Loong Siew likes this.
  13. Anthony H

Just wondering, is the porous surface of the sycee meant to be there? Is it going to affect the overall intrinsic value of the object? Also, may I know the approximate weight of that sycee.
    Cheers
    Anthony H

14. Loong Siew

Yes you are correct. . If you review my reply and post again, I mentioned about how these stamps were likely "subsequent additions". But they were added to genuine pieces to boost appeal.. and in some cases, I think it works. .

Anthony H likes this.
  15. Anthony H

Loong Siew, are you asian? You seem to know a tremendous amount in Chinese coins!
    Additionally I have acquired a 1927 Memento dollar and I also have some Beiyang Dollars!

Anthony H

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Loong Siew likes this.
  16. Anthony H

Do you know the approximate value for a year 34 zhilli dollar and also a year 29 dollar also?

Anthony H (Thanks)

Loong Siew likes this.
  17. Loong Siew

Porous surfaces SHOULD be there for the real deal. Sycees are most if not all privately issued and uses crude methods which involves just pouring molten silver into moulds and letting them cool down. The porosity is an expected feature due to air bubbles that form during the process. Sycees were for trade purposes and what mattered back then was the silver content and weight rather than eye appeal. This one is around 90 odd grams

18. Loong Siew

Yes I am asian and collects world coins but partial mostly to Asian coins particularly Chinese and Japanese . ..

19. Anthony H

Do you collect old korean coins?

mlov43 likes this.
  20. Loong Siew

Year 34 are very common. Year 29 not so much. Both share similar designs and were the last and most consistent of the Zhilli (Peiyang) issues. For these, the conditions play a significant impact on the value and could range from a hundred odd USD to mid hundreds for a mint state specimen (year 29 with a slight premium).

21. Loong Siew

No

Draft saved Draft deleted