Qing Dynasty Silver Dragon Dollar - Kiangnan Provincial Issue

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Loong Siew, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Qing Dynasty.

Kiang Nan (Jiang Nan) 江南 Province

戊戌 1898 year. AU

This Kiangnan dollar featured the old bug-eyed Dragon characteristic of the provincial style. the dragon style was adopted across multiple other accompanying frames such as chevron frames and pearl scales to name a few before the design was changed completely to a newer natural looking dragon. These older kiangnan dragon dollars are scarcer and more collectible compared with the newer dragon variants. More so in higher grades.

image.jpg IMG_20150829_194947.jpg

chrsmat71, jello, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Sometimes one would wonder how they managed to survive especially in XF+ condition. A lot of the surviving examples are heavily chopmarked, worn, damaged, made into jewellery, melted down during the communist revolution etc. At one stage, about 20 years ago, there was still not much interest and they were sold literally melt value. It is probably the last ten years when collectors realize how scarce they can be and the price skyrocketed. Coupled with the flood of super counterfeits, collecting genuine examples just made it too hard.

Definitely a nice example!

longnine009 and Loong Siew like this.
  4. Loong Siew

A dragon dollar enthusiast mentioned to me that these were pretty common and hardly worth a premium years ago before the Chinese economic boom. Many were brought overseas by migrant Chinese to places like South East Asia, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc. Many households were often very poor and holding on to any one of the silvers (龙银) were often highly regarded as precious heirlooms regardless of their intrinsic value. Thus they were sometimes just being kept and not used at all thus preserving the last state which they were in.

longnine009 likes this.
  5. Loong Siew

My personal experience for instance were British Trade Dollars and Republic Junk Dollars. Although they were not exactly mint state but they were kept locked away since my grandparents generation and then handed over to my parents as heirlooms..

jello likes this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I can agree. A lot of the nicer examples are found overseas. Some early coin collectors who recognized the beauty of such coins also contributed for instance Eduard Kann. With all honesty, regardless of how important the coins could have been as heirloom - can you imagine how some would have to give them up for instance during the war? Can't eat coins when one is starving.

Imperial Chinese coinage does have its appeal as well as some sad history behind it in particular greed and corruption. Reminded me of the warlord brass issue, reduced silver content of Jilin and Gansu province, Chinese Soviet issues, etc.

I have attempted to collect coins from each province which proved to be extremely difficult. I do own some smaller denomination coins from Jiangnan province. Personally I like coins from Guizhou province especially the antimony coins as they are very different and such coins were produced due to their economic situation. I recently stopped as I found it impossible to keep ahead of the counterfeit game and many coins are starting to be unobtainable.

I do have a question Loong. I understand that decent crown size coins from most province are quite hard to locate. I however found the 3.6 mace coin much harder to find in any condition with exception of Yunnan province. What are your thoughts on it and if it is the case, would you know why?

7. Loong Siew

I totally agree and share your sentiments gxseries. Although I am admittedly partial towards Chinese coins, the astronomical prices of scarcer and better issues now are way beyond my capacity to achieve a close to decent series. It has come to a stage where I only buy coins from trusted sources such as reputable auction houses internationally outside of China (believe me you wouldn't believe the prices they go for in China). I personally dislike slabbed coins but have no choice but to for some just for the assurance if I couldn't find a piece I like from auction houses.

As for the 3 mace types, I do not honestly know the reason why. But you do have a point regarding them being at times scarcer. My thoughts are it's probably due to convenience or utility. It is likely that the 3 mace series was not a popular denomination very much so like how the half dollars were out of favor in the US. Another possibility is the local economy. Unlike today, each provincial government or bank has a degree of autonomy over the local commerce and economy. It is likely the degree of wealth and commercial activity influenced the local mintage to a degree. For instance Fujian province issued only small coins because the poverty level there made most goods very cheap and thus there is hardly any use or demand for higher denominations where they can be replaced by borrowing off currencies from neighboring provinces through trade. Yunnan on the other hand has possibly a high degree of commerce with the neighboring countries such as Burma, Vietnam and Indochina. Thus the need for more silver as a medium of trade provides more incentive for more and varied denominations to be minted.

gxseries likes this.
  8. Loong Siew

An update with a recent acquisition. Another Kiangnan dragon dollar with the same year but different and scarcer design variant.

Pearl scaled dragon.

2015-10-03 22.14.00.jpg 2015-10-03 22.15.03.jpg

jello and Jwt708 like this.
  9. Anthony H

Anthony H Visit my "Coin-stagram:" @anthonythecoinman

Loong Siew likes this.
  10. Loong Siew

That coin in eBay is a bad fake. Firstly Jiangsu Was not known to have issued silver dollars. Secondly both the deemed location being different is a very obvious giveaway. . It is probably targeted to those who can't read Chinese

11. Anthony H

Thank you soo much! You basically saved my life!!!!

I greatly express my gratitude!!!

Anthony H

Loong Siew likes this.
  12. Loong Siew

Welcome.. the price is ridiculous for an obvious fake. I sincerely advise against the following:

1) buying expensive silver dragons off eBay. Especially non slabbed Ones or unreliable dealers.

2) if sourced directly from China

13. Anthony H

Attached Files:

14. Anthony H

15. Loong Siew

Fake. Too light. They should weigh an equivalent of an American silver dollar. Also the material looks unreal. It should be 90% silver and the ddesign looks off. Be careful with this seller

16. Loong Siew

Looks suspicious. . Also the angle and lighting does not provide good clarity. I would caution against it. A lot of fakes of these although common. TRIVIA. His coin is supposed to be a year 3. He mistakenly tagged it as year 9. This shows his lack of knowledge on the subject

17. Anthony H

Thank you soo much!

Draft saved Draft deleted