Q: What determines the mintage numbers?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JayF, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Despite with lots of people think the bank is not chartered to serve the public good. It's in business to make money for its owners be theybshareholders of a public corporation or member owners of the credit union.

They take deposits and make loans to make money to pay off the owners. If they charge a fee for a particular service that is expensive to provide or even just more expensive than the run of the mill, that's just recouping costs vs. charging it back to the owners.

Changing a bill is not what a bank does.

Taking in rolled coins has several expenses, physical storage, transportation to a coin terminal, shortages in customer wrapped coins... why should I as an owner of the bank pay for your hobby?

chrisild likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In the old days, you could walk into any bank, without an account and get change for the bus.
    Things have changed, and not for the better.
    This isn't the America I grew up in.
    Yes they have a responsibility to make a profit.
    But the customer service part has disappeared completely and been replaced
    with nothing but fees.
    I will never bank anywhere but my credit union.

mlov43 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

As the owner of a bank you are not paying for my hobby. You are however, expected to provide customer service. A lost and forgotten art. I fail to understand banks that refuse to take, limit the number of rolls to take or charge a customer for taking rolled coins, especially when they pay an armored car company a fee to deliver boxes of rolled coins.
    My bank receives daily shipments, M-F, of rolled coins, all denominations. The armored service uses a hand truck to roll them into the bank. Why pay for them when you can get them at face value from your clients? And you're providing a small customer service in the process.
    If a bank can't provide me with the service I want I can go to another, more user friendly bank.

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You can thank the U.S. Government for devaluing the dollar.

6. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

While we do have a couple of jars of cents sitting around the house, we tend to spend the ones in our pockets. Why? Because we like to trade the heavy cents we get in change for lighter weight bills.

7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

My son took all required math classes in high school so he wouldn't have to take any more in college. And mathphobia is why I was so happy to buy my first electronic calculator back in the 1980s.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

My question about mintages: Are mintages the number of coins struck that actually MADE IT into circulation (minus the errors), or are mintages the number that were struck, including the errors?

9. Burton Strauss III

Dozens of businesses have basically eliminated the cent.

My bill at the Local Diner yesterday was .21 and I paid with a $20. Got .80 back on change, so they ate the cent. They aren't going broke...

10. Burton Strauss III

In the early mint they are described as the number of coins delivered by the corner.

mlov43 likes this.
  11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

By who? What? Huh?

12. Collecting Nut

Probably the northeast corner of the Mint's building. That is where the loading dock is, I think.

Kentucky and CoinCorgi like this.
  13. Collecting Nut

A cent to fertilize my plants. That's the cheapest fertilizer I've ever had.

14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Below is my take on keeping the U.S. penny from February 2013. It remains germane today.

"We shouldn't kill the cent for two reasons. One; it is the first coin that I collected and I want to continue collecting them. Two, we make 5 billions cents a year. It costs us twice the cost to make than its value. Thus, we spend a total of $50 million dollars a year on making the penny. Our GDP is $14 trillion. The cost of removing the penny is 0.00036% of the GDP. Do you really think that the inflation caused by removing the penny (eg. rounding up) is going to cost us more than 0.00036%?"

15. Burton Strauss III

Coiner not corner.

Ain't you never heard about no auto-corrupt? Well artifical stupid voice non-recognition (ASVNR) is worse...

CoinCorgi likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Ghu no, we would spend $400 Million on attack ads.

"Vote against Congressman RatFink. (Deep voice) he voted to eliminate the penny costing you FOUR CENTS every time you shop at the Piggly Wiggly. In the course of the year that's $2 you could spend on lottery tickets to become rich and famous"

This ad paid for by the committee to trash Congressman ratfinks admittedly poor reputation by spending more on attack ads then you'll ever spend at the Piggly Wiggly in your entire life let alone the four measily cents and the fact that half the time the round and goes in your favor...

mlov43 likes this.
  17. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

You might want to inform my local authorities, who are charged with enforcing the laws, what the meaning of SHALL means.

"The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing."

It took 130ish days to get my renewal.

Then again, this is what I'm dealing with in my area: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2018/06/three_state_troopers_arrested_in_ot_scandal

The same guys that fly past you on the highway, going 85+ mph, but give you a ticket for going 75.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

[Edit: posted cartoon removed due to reported copyright violation]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted