Q: Weber 1841 era tokens w/USS Constitution ship, others?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Clawcoins, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I've grown a fancy of some Civil War & other tokens lately. Bought a few that have the USS Monitor on them, and I'm seeing a bunch with the 1797 USS Constitution on them. I used to build model ships when I was young, back when you had to use real string type rigging. So I may go on a collection of tokens/coins that have the USS Constitution on it. The ships of my young have long set sail (incl the Monitor, Merrimack, Constitution etc), so this time I plan on keeping these in a safe place.

I've done some searching (here and the internet in general) and I'm coming up empty on tokens.

Does anyone have a list, known website for the Civil War tokens of Weber (or others). I like some of the designs and I'm trying to learn more before venturing in and buying a few.

I'm finding 8 sided (octagon) tokens and round ones. But I want to make sure I'm not going to buy semi-modern tourist shop stuff.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Exonumia might be the term you would want to look up. By the way an 1841 token is usually considered to be a Hard Times token as the US economy had not yet recovered from the Panic of 1837.

Mojavedave likes this.
  4. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

(American) "Civil War tokens. Tokens that were privately minted and distributed in the United States between 1861 and 1864. - Civil War tokens became illegal after the United States Congress passed a law on April22, 1864 prohibiting the issue of any one or two-cent coins, tokens or devices for use as a currency. - Patriotic Civil War tokens typically displayed a patriotic slogan or image on one or both sides. Majority of these slogans were minted in Union States, so slogans & images were decidedly pro-Union. (e.g. "Union For Ever" and "Old Glory". Images e.g. flag of the States, a 19th century cannon and "U.S.S. Monitor").

5. Clawcoins

Thanks for the info. "hard time tokens" "Patriotic" etc all help me search more into it.

I'm keeping my collection small to just "ship" based items. I have a variety of modern US tokens, even the most recent ones. Then I saw the USS Monitors on another thread, picked up those two. And picked up a 1841 "Not one cent" USS Constitution just today.

but the info makes it clear about the prohibiting aspect of it and why they were tokens and not real money.
    Thanks

6. Bert Gedin

Let's hope you find some items that you'll appreciate. Others here might show some of their Civil War tokens, and share their knowledge. And when you've gathered a few, you might like to share them here ?

7. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

There should be some French and English medals. One famous US civil war battle was fought in the channel and watched from both shores. Other medals are Monitor, Merrimack, the Maine. When you get past 1900 there are many famous ships depicted on medals like the Pearl Harbor victims; the Yorktown, various aircraft carriers and the USS Indianapolis.

8. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

Does anyone have a list, known website for the Civil War tokens of Weber (or others). I like some of the designs and I'm trying to learn more before venturing in and buying a few.

Could you please post a pic of the "Civil War tokens of Weber" Interested in learning more. Nothing came up in a quick Google search.

9. Clawcoins

I like mast ships, and I'm looking at general commems that contain then and early US/colonial coinage too.

I have the 2 USS Monitor.
    I didn't find a Merrimack @harley bissell ??
    and I bought a USS Constitution just yesterday.

I haven't found anything with pictures. Perusing eBay gives a good idea of what is out there though.

10. Clawcoins

2 USS Monitor (sorry, these are my old fuzzy pics)
    IMG_E2070.JPG
    IMG_E2071.JPG

and my recent USS Constitution purchase
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Cheech9712 and Sasquatch like this.
  11. harley bissell

The two fought each other if I remember right. When they both appear on the same medal the north calls it monitor and the south calls it Merrimack. They do that with many civil war battles having two names too.

12. harley bissell

It's been many years since I could be called a civil war buff. I just refreshed my memory. The USS Merrimack was scuttled to avoid capture. It was raised by the south and turned into the ironclad CSS VIRGINIA. The MONITOR AND THE VIRGINIA
    FOUGHT THEIR BATTLE AT Hampton Roads, VA. the VIRGINIA was scuttled to avoid capture then or later.

13. Bert Gedin

"scuttled to avoid capture" ? Is that what they call scorched earth warfare ???

14. harley bissell

That was a common practice in naval warfare. If a ship was surrendered intact the winner put their own crew aboard and used it to keep attacking the other side. Very similar to the modern role playing zombie games where every zombie victim becomes a zombie and starts attacking survivors.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

16. Bert Gedin

harley, re. naval warfare, and zombie victims, reminds me of Dracula biting his victims in the "kneck", so they become Learner Vampires !

Draft saved Draft deleted