Q Antonius Balbus Denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Oct 18, 2016.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

So, I'll be honest - I still have zero idea what direction I want to go or what I want to collect in the ancient realm. So, I'm just going to buy a few and see what sticks. To that end, I present to you my first big ancient purchase. I saw a recent sales thread from our friend @Zohar444 , and his taste is impeccable. I picked 2 that I liked, and they just arrived today. This is the first, I'll post the other in a couple of days.

This is a serrate denarius from Q. Antonius Balbus, c 83/82 BC. The obverse features Jupiter, and the reverse has Victory in a quadriga.

I know that "slabbed" is a dirty word around here, but I'm coming from US coins where everything is slabbed. It is graded by NGC as "Ch AU" (which, again, I'm coming to realize that the AU grade on ancients is frowned upon), with a * for eye appeal (I'm sure I'll get crap for that too ;) ). NGC gave it 5/5 for strike, and 5/5 for surfaces.

I may be a novice at ancients, but to me this is a stunning coin, and I am pleased to own it! So, any comments are welcome, or examples you may have.

IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2130.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's a beauty. Love the toning.

4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Stunning coin!

5. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A very nice coin. Congrats!

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is a very nice coin. I would not remove it from the slab because someone will pay more for the grade listed than I would for the coin. Lets compare Slab grading to standard grading. This is a D. coin (yours is .D) sold by CNG a while back.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=166535[​IMG]

They called theirs Good VF. Which coin has nicer hair detail on the forehead and beard? This issue often has poor centering and I would award a star for eye appeal to the better centered coin. Another 'situation' is that many of these have raggedy edge cuts. I prefer coins with more even edges. Your coin is a beauty. It did not need accelerated grading or a star to make it special. Your reverse has better detail in places so the EF reverse makes it at least the equal of the CNG Good VF. I would love to have such a nice coin graded Good VF and without a star. A Ch AU 5/5 5/5 * should be pretty much a perfect coin.

Mine? Just a fine for about 1/4 the CNG price. What would you expect from me? You could sell yours in a second; mine would take a lot longer. As long as we are both happy with our coins, all is right with the world.
    ra5320bb3031.jpg

Paul M., dlhill132, mcwyler and 17 others like this.
  8. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Well said and oh how true.

Mikey Zee and Alegandron like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

If I was in charge of what goes onto the slab, I would have put aside the numbers and whatnot and just gone with this. "Stunning coin" sounds exactly right to me. Congrats!

Paul M., stevex6 and Bing like this.
  11. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I bought mine early in my move to ancients and at the time I liked that it's off center but now I know better. Still like it though. Need a better picture but here it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul M., dlhill132, Kentucky and 9 others like this.
  12. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Physics - Beautiful coin! I think if you keep it up, any direction will be fine.

13. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

And you Volodya...that's just ridiculous! Full border as well?! I give up. I'm taking up stamps.

Paul M., Mikey Zee, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
  14. Mrs. C. Gray

Mrs. C. Gray New Member

I'm impressed with the details and it's condition. I haven't a clue what slab bed means though. I'm looking forward to seeing your second coin!!

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Impeccable purchase. I wish my taste (and wallet) were so good when I started collecting

Q

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, physics => congrats on scoring that amazing OP-example (it's gorgeous)

... I hate slabs ...

However, if I did own your OP-coin I'd want the slab to read

STRIKE: Winna-Winna
    SURFACES: Chicky-Dinna

Paul M., chrsmat71 and Carthago like this.
  17. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Maybe @TIF can hook ya' up steve. ;)

Paul M., stevex6 and TIF like this.
  18. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I too am a novice and think it's stunning!
    I'm the "Slab King" but you're welcome to the title! LOL!

SLABBBBBS.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Paul M. likes this.
  19. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Very nice coin OP, here is mine:

den.jpg

Paul M., dlhill132, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great example, love the toning. As with others who posted theirs.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  21. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

I don't own any ancients, however that coin may ignite an interest.

Ancientnoob and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted