Q&A for Collectors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kden, Apr 2, 2020.

1. kden

kden Active Member

Hello all, please answer the following In red the rest are my comments.

1. How old were you when you started collecting? I started collecting when my grandfather gave me part of his collection at 18.
    2. How long have you been collecting? I’ve been looking through this half of his collection non stop for 3 months and started collecting my own a couple weeks ago.
    3. What got you into collecting? Dzia dzia. (My grandpa)
    4. What’s your favorite piece whether it’s sentimental or valuable? I’ll have a picture of mine below. It is a Freemasons Royal Arch penny. I don’t know much about it because when I ask he says, “I have nothing to say about this.” But I do know it’s only given to members. Big ole mystery so tell me all you know about these also.
    5. Where’s a good place to get change other than coin rolls? Banks near me won’t sell me coins without an appointment at the moment and the only bank I’m with doesn’t have any.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

1) nine-ten years old when my mother handed me a Franklin half to buy my school lunch.
    2) About fifty years. However coin collecting did take a backseat while I raised kids.
    3) A big silver Franklin half that my mother put in my hands.
    4) my favorites tend to change. However I spotted a USA bar copper in my first Redbook and dreamed of that coin my whole life. So I suppose this would be my all time favorite.

kden likes this.
  4. kden

kden Active Member

That’s really cool I need to get a red book if I’m gonna keep at it. So many online resources now though not sure if it’s necessary.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

1) 5 years old
    2) 60 years
    3) I've always found coins neat
    4) No real favorites as a lot of them are my favorites, including paper money

Randy Abercrombie and kden like this.
  6. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

1. Started collecting around 8 years old. But my interest in coins predated that (see #3).
    2. Almost 50 years. But like Randy (and most others) I tapped the brakes on coins during college and while starting a career and a family.
    3. I became interested in coins almost before I could read, thanks to a small box of foreign coins and currency my dad and uncle brought back from WW2 (probably explains my preference for world coins even today). I got interested in collecting after an older cousin showed me his Whitman albums full of Lincoln cents and Jefferson nickels.
    4. An 1885 Morgan given to me by the aforementioned uncle. The first official coin I ever "collected".
    5. Not a clue. I know next to nothing about circulated modern US coins.

kden and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

1. Probably around 10 years old.
    2. About 55 years. While buying a house and raising kids, my interests shifted a bit over to the exonumia realm, which has held my primary interest to this day.
    3. My older brother collected coins, and I wanted to have a better collection than his. Funded by paper route money, I spent so much time at the local coin shop that he said I may as well get paid for being there, hence my first "real" job. I worked there from the age of 14 to 20.
    4. My favorite is a Civil War token issued by an ancestor.
    5. During the present time, acquiring quantities of coins is difficult. It helps to know someone in the business, but newspapers still deal with a large volume of coins. When my wife helps count coins, she usually finds between .25 and 1.00 in silver after looking thru about $3,000 of coins. She also gets the tokens and foreign coins for free as the banks won't take them. Having a DQ worker save coins for you can be good. Kids sometimes get into dad's desk for ice cream money. My daughter used to bring home $2-3 face of silver every week when she worked there. A bank teller can be another good source.

Draft saved Draft deleted