Pyrrhos, king of the Macedonians

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Another Pyrrhos coin to finally add to my Epeirote collection! This time, it is a coin from Pyrrhos, as king of the Macedonians (in opposition against Lysimachos). It is a plate coin as well, so I guess that's an extra plus.

[​IMG]
    Kingdom of Macedon. Pyrrhos. Bronze coin (287–285 B.C. and 274-273 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Macedonian shield with monogram of Pyrrhos (ΠYP) in central boss.
    Reverse: BA - ΣI, with Labrys monogram in middle. Macedonian helmet within oak wreath.
    Reference: AMNG 1; Hoover 272 (this coin).
    4.13g; 17mm

Pyrrhos was king of Macedon for the first time from 287 to 285 BC. During this period he had control of Pella, where there was a coin workshop. Between 288 and 276 there was a form of anarchy in Macedon, which made it It is difficult to find a link between certain coins and the kings. There is however, the certainty that Pyrrhos has minted coins in its own name in Macedon in this period. The main coins that have been minted are bronze coins, especially those that refer to Pyrrhos. In terms of iconography they differ not so much with the previous period. The type on which Pyrrhos occurs is a Macedonian shield, with a helmet and laurel wreath on the reverse, similar types can be found at coins from Demetrios Poliorketes. Also, the other types from this period are not so deviant. They contain the head of the young Herakles or a Gorgo, types that have already appeared before. During the second reign of Pyrrhos in Macedon (274-273 BC) there was probably no coin production, since Pyrrhos had no control over a coin workshop.

The fact that there were no silver coins in Macedon can certainly be explained, since the control of the Pangaion Mountains was in the hands of Lysimachos, in which he was in able to mint silver coins. Petros Garouphalias wants us to believe that there was another silver production by Pyrrhos, because there were always silver coins in Macedon. However, this is probably wrong, because no silver was available. I suspect that Pyrrhos would had minted silver coins if he had the chance, but due to a lack of silver this was not possible.

I guess you will like this coin @Ryro, one of your favorite generals and your favorite item of the ancient world: shields :p

Post your coins from Pyrrhos or any Macedonian shield coin!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coin, @Pavlos ! I have a Judaean coin that must have been inspired by the Macedonian shield coin.

SHEILD_JUDAEAN.jpg

Pavlos, zumbly, Justin Lee and 10 others like this.
  4. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

:woot: 03F0BDE3-C4A1-4167-87AC-274F23AF9F1B.gif

Wooah, That has gotta be one of, if not, the best looking Pyrrhos shield coin I've seen! And thanks for the shoutout homie!
    I'd post mine for comparison...But it would be no pyrrhic victory. Yours is a show stopper:singing:
    Here are some of my favorite bronze MSCs:
    ABC8250B-5F07-4890-8698-6604406284A0.jpeg 90F37238-6A24-4840-A163-F19143057AC3.jpeg CA81C4CE-7C28-4C92-B624-521FD3316A43.png 2DE7B70C-EE4E-4D3D-A47C-0B818BA8446F.jpeg 00A190A8-0598-4C17-83A2-A9C666E64E1C.png
    upload_2019-10-19_9-13-57.jpeg
    (Bronze thorax supposedly worn by Pyrrhus. and it fits perfect! JK, not mine)

zumbly, Justin Lee, ominus1 and 10 others like this.
  5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i have a Pyrrhus and a shield, but no Pyrrhus shield..very nice one!..:)

Pavlos and Ryro like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Pyrrhos
    [​IMG]
    Syracuse Sicily Pyrrhus Epirus 278-276 BCE AE Litra 11.4g 23.3mm Herakles Nemaean Lion scalp - Athena Promachos thunderbolt shield SNG Cop 813, SNG ANS 852

Curtisimo, Pavlos, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  8. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very cool coin! Judaean coins are completely unknown to me, but it looks like they have a lot of variety.
    Perhaps a bit off topic, but I actually wonder, why is it written in Greek and not in Hebrew? Hellenic influence was not that strong in Jerusalem.

Awesome coins @Ryro! I never get enough seeing your cool shield coins.

Cool thorax! I wonder if the roof tile is somewhere in a museum as well, poor guy:
    [​IMG]

Nice coins @Andres2! Thanks for sharing.

Nice coin @Alegandron. Here not king of the Macedonians, but king (tyrant?) of the Sicilians!

Deacon Ray, Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for the kind words, @Pavlos ! Great question. I’m going to have to read up on it!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Pavlos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted