PVC removal.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You do know that anyone can make a YouTube video... Read the comments. If you use an outdoor privy, you can't smell poo.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

"A lot of support" on the Internet confers... attention. And, apparently, staying power. It does NOT, or at least should not, confer any credibility whatsoever. Think Tide Pods.

The "pure water is unfit for human consumption" posts I read seem to start with the claim that it "immediately starts sucking minerals out of your body the moment it enters your mouth". That's true; it's also true of tap water, or bottled water. Where do you think it TAKES those minerals? It takes them right down to your digestive system, where they're immediately reabsorbed if your body needs them, or eventually excreted if you don't need them.

As for the guy in the video saying that his tongue hurt the next day: you cannot conclude from that that the deionized water injured the cells of his tongue. I'll leave it as an exercise to figure out why not. ;)

4. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

That guy makes allot of educational videos and they are rational. We apparently need a lab rat experiment to make a better census of the theory.

5. bruthajoe

I don't know but... lots of support on this, like I said...
    Have you ever forgotten to water a plant for a few days, then come back to find your once-perky arugula a wilted mess? If so, you already know that water balance is very important for plants. When a plant wilts, it does so because water moves out of its cells, causing them to lose the internal pressure—called turgor pressure—that normally supports the plant.
    Why does water leave the cells? The amount of water outside the cells drops as the plant loses water, but the same quantity of ions and other particles remains in the space outside the cells. This increase in solute, or dissolved particle, concentration pulls the water out of the cells and into the extracellular spaces in a process known as osmosis.
    Formally, osmosis is the net movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from an area of lower solute concentration to an area of higher solute concentration. This may sound odd at first, since we usually talk about the diffusion of solutes that are dissolved in water, not about the movement of water itself. However, osmosis is important in many biological processes, and it often takes place at the same time that solutes diffuse or are transported. Here, we’ll look in more detail at how osmosis works, as well as the role it plays in the water balance of cells...
    Note: When we use these terms, we are considering only solutes that cannot cross the membrane.

• If the extracellular fluid has lower osmolarity than the fluid inside the cell, it’s said to be hypotonichypo means less than—to the cell, and the net flow of water will be into the cell.
      • In the reverse case, if the extracellular fluid has a higher osmolarity than the cell’s cytoplasm, it’s said to be hypertonichyper means greater than—to the cell, and water will move out of the cell to the region of higher solute concentration.
      • In an isotonic solution—iso means the same—the extracellular fluid has the same osmolarity as the cell, and there will be no net movement of water into or out of the cell.
    Hypotonic, hypertonic, and isotonic are relative terms. That is, they describe how one solution compares to another in terms of osmolarity. For instance, if the fluid inside a cell has a higher osmolarity, concentration of solute, than the surrounding fluid, the cell interior is hypertonic to the surrounding fluid, and the surrounding fluid is hypotonic to the cell interior.

S
    o it seems to me hypotonic water is not good for you.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  6. bruthajoe

I always screw up the o and y. Basically a single animal cell ( like a red blood cell) placed in a hypotonic solution will fill up with water and then burst.

7. Kentucky

Rational isn't always true.

8. Kentucky

9. bruthajoe

I know but it passes the days and we learn from others mistakes. :playful:

10. bruthajoe

It's the never ending thread again.

11. bruthajoe

Sometimes you just need a break from CLEANING YOUR COINS!!! Ahhhh I'm gonna get bashed !

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I think I'll go with the opinions of @Kentucky and @-jeffB They've demonstrated their knowledge of chemistry over numerous posts. As they said, ultra pure water is going to suck up ions and minerals as soon as it contacts other stuff (air, your tongue, stomach, etc), at which time, it will no longer be ultra pure, and it's solvent ability will diminish significantly. Just my opinion.

bruthajoe likes this.
  13. bruthajoe

Like I said I'm not one to argue with those guys. I'm just the messenger.

14. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

IMO, the guy in the video is a wussy. I can tell you from my own personal experience that DI water will not harm you - even if you drink a few consecutive glasses of it.
    I’ve probably consumed 150-200 gallons of it - if not more - over my middle-aged life. At one of the facilities where I used to work, we manufactured finished pharmaceuticals. I’d drink about 5-8 glasses / week. Along with 2-3 meals / day and other fluids. I was also fully aware at the time of the potential risks.
    If it were as hazardous as some folks have claimed here, there’d be a warning label on retail distilled water.
    Interesting that the last half of a post on PVC has been devoted to purified water. Maybe the Mod should move it to a new category on Coin Talk called ‘Health and Wellness’. :happy:

Kentucky and bruthajoe like this.
  15. -jeffB

Here's the thing: distilled water, bottled water, even mineral water are all hypotonic.

The whole point of drinking water is so that our bodies can absorb it. If you drink a tonic solution, none of the water will be absorbed into your body. And if you you drink a hypertonic solution, it will draw water out of your body.

Yes, pure water can kill isolated white cells or plant cells. So can exposure to air. Does that mean we should breathe salt water instead of air?

bruthajoe and Scuba4fun777 like this.
  16. -jeffB

Subcategory for "Mental Health", for those of us whose OCD won't permit us to Just Let It Go?

(I'll nominate myself for moderator of the subcategory, since I'd be spending all my time there anyhow...)

Penny Luster, Kentucky and bruthajoe like this.
  17. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Thanks Kentucky.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Kentucky

You're welcome, but I think it's still some odd language...

19. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

The old dihydrogen monoxide gambit. Haven't seen it in years.

https://dhmo.org/truth/Dihydrogen-Monoxide.html

bruthajoe, Scuba4fun777 and Kentucky like this.
  20. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Some nasty stuff. That relatively unique hydrogen bond angle of ~104.5 degrees is what makes it soooo dastardly.

21. bruthajoe

Draft saved Draft deleted