PVC removal.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Who drinks anything made in a "laboratory".

Except some medicines?

bruthajoe likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It doesn't really correspond to reality, though. There's nothing magical or sinister about "ultra pure" water. Heck, you can make it yourself by burning hydrogen in oxygen (carefully, please!). It absolutely does occur naturally -- it just then goes on to get mixed with other things. There is no "synthetic water" that's different from "natural water".

Distilling water does remove minerals, so distilled water "disrupts your electrolyte balance" just as much as more-purified water does -- that is, not much at all, unless you're doing something really weird with your diet.

bruthajoe likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The main difference between a "laboratory" and a "processing plant" is scale. I wouldn't drink municipal water that hadn't been "treated" with "chemicals".

Scuba4fun777 likes this.
  5. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    Your 2nd to last paragraph sums it up perfectly:
    “The bottom line is that if you're fasting, and drinking only distilled water, you can run into electrolyte problems more quickly than you would with mineral-bearing water. For people who eat, though, drinking distilled or otherwise super-purified water shouldn't make a significant difference. Saying it's "unfit for human consumption" is grossly misleading.”

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Right. I guess my point was I would not be consuming anything in a laboratory. In my University organic chemistry lab, we were taught not to stick your nose in anything but to "waft" the vapors if you needed to smell something, much less actually ingest anything.

bruthajoe likes this.
  7. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

DON'T

8. Phil's Coins

I found a set of BAMBOO tongs on e-Bay that I use to remove the coins from acetone. Works great, keeps fingers safe, and you can also run them under water for rinsing and then put them in distilled water. CAUTION: If you are going to send them to a TPG rinse them several times. I neglected to properly rinse a coin, sent it in and it came back UNC Details/Contaminated. The major ones now use SNIFFERS.

bruthajoe likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

No. You apparently think there is something different about "UltraPure" water, but as soon as you take it into your mouth, it becomes not ultrapure since it mixes with whatever is in your mouth. This really is an ultimate example of "taking something out of context".

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  10. Kentucky

Do you know what a "sniffer" is?

11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I was going to reply to this but....I think I would get banned:eek:

Insider and Kentucky like this.
  12. Phil's Coins

Technically no. As was explained to me by a chemical engineer friend of mine, it is a unit that can pick up minute traces of substances foreign to any surface. Will not attempt to elaborate any further since he used words I did not know existed.

Kentucky likes this.
  13. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

What looked like pvc residue on my trade dollar was perhaps just that. I used 100% acetone and soaked the coin for about 2 hours. A thorough rinse with distilled water and pat dry did the trick.

RonSanderson likes this.
  14. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I dunno, I don't think I'd try it unless it was contaminated with alcohol. I would call it a H2 OH NO.

15. bruthajoe

Yes but, moral of the story is, don't let the acetone dry before the rinse.

16. bruthajoe

Well the majority is out now that we don't know how much is required to be harmful.

17. bruthajoe

It was an analogy to the definition of "pure".

18. Kentucky

OK, as far as I know, the instrument used is an FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Reflectance Spectrophotometer) which bounces an analyzing beam off the surface and looks for contaminants. It ain't that sensitive. Acetone is long gone before you could carry it from a bath to the instrument.

bruthajoe likes this.
  19. Kentucky

d
    What? Ultrapure water is no different for the human bodyanti-r than plain old distilled water. Distilled water can be very aggressive in dissolving stuff. I almost got a job for a company that made an interesting additive. When the Navy made a new Radar unit, somehow the specification was written to use only distilled water for the cooling unit. The distilled water was eroding the guts of the machine, so a guy got acceptance for an "additive" that would keep the units from eroding...essentially anti-freeze!!!

bruthajoe likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Lab gin is some of the finest I have ever had...

bruthajoe likes this.
  21. bruthajoe

I'm not gonna argue this, but there is a lot of support to give it some credibility.
    I'm not the one to confirm or deny. But I ain't gonna try it. If you would like to donate 15 minutes of view time to some guy that believes this then watch...

Draft saved Draft deleted