PVC removal.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Methylene chloride is great except that it can be an anesthetic and when exposed to flames generates phosgene which is HIGHLY TOXIC! Although it really does smell good and is a fantastic solvent.

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Correction PVC RESIDUE can be easily removed. PVC damage is forever, because PVC damage is the result of Hydrochloric acid in the residue etching the surface of the coin. And once the surface is damaged (etched) it will always be so. No way to remove an etched surface.

This is correct, which is why I always recommend once you remove the coin from the soak that, while it is still wet, you give it a FLOWING rinse with fresh acetone to flush away all the contaminants dissolved in the acetone from the soak solution.

Bob Evancho, Insider and bruthajoe like this.
  4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Just to be very clear: Acetone may change the color of a copper coin or it may not. If the color is changed, it can be easily reversed.[/QUOTE]
    Can you share the color reversal procedure?

bruthajoe likes this.
  5. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Can you provide a good supply source for Methylene chloride?

6. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

Thank you, I corrected the statements, to not get anyone confused, good catch.

7. bruthajoe

I did try the acetone flush and found the soapy water worked better. Probably due to the purity of the acetone I used. I just used a common hardware store brand.

8. bruthajoe

Speaking of PVC Damage. Anyone care to speculate on whether or not this coin may be recoverable? It's pretty heavily contaminated... s-l1600.jpg

9. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Where do you even get it. It makes the best paint stripper but it’s getting hard to find and the non methylene chloride stripper is totally useless warning the stuff is nasty and very toxic

10. Mainebill

Can’t hurt to try. I bought a lot of early stuff that was utterly coated in green slime a 1837 no stars dime a bunch of 3c silver and some early Canadian stuff. The results were wonderful. Straight grade xf 45 on the dime green cac after I sold it too

bruthajoe likes this.
  11. Mainebill

Really. That makes sense. I almost killed myself when I was 18 I was stripping furniture in an outbuilding and using a salamander heater to warm it up. I’d gone in the house I think to warm up and let the heater run and I came back and went in and felt like I was gonna die. Couldn’t breathe coughing retching etc. went right back out the door and aired it out and never did it again but my lungs have never been quite right since

Kentucky likes this.
  12. bruthajoe

Well the problem is their asking price is around the same as a NGC ms63. I was just throwing it out there to kick around.

13. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

Methylene Chloride is a VOC-exempt solvent, however it is much more toxic than just about any other solvent that you can purchase at the hardware store. MeCl2 has been unavailable in retail formulations for years and was just outlawed in commercial formulations, also.
    It is a very efficient solvent, but it’s been banned - even by the current administration - so you know it’s some nasty stuff. It’s the carbon tetrachloride of the 20’s.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Remember, when the PVC plasticizer breaks down, Hydrochloric acid is a decomposition product. You need to remove that from the surface or the HCl will keep eating away at the surface. As others have said, once the surface is damaged, it can't be restored, but you still should remove any residue.

Kentucky and bruthajoe like this.
  15. Scuba4fun777

You’re pretty lucky. Methylene chloride has caused many deaths in the exact same way that you describe.

16. Scuba4fun777

Search online. It's available from lab supply stores. However, if you're going to use it, do your liver and kidneys a favor and wear a respirator that can filter volatile organics (rated OV/P100). Of course, in a well-ventilated area, too.
    I'm by no means a solvent nanny, but dichloromethane (AKA methylene chloride or MeCl2) is a solvent that I have great respect for.

Mainebill likes this.
  17. bruthajoe

I think that one is too far gone. I'll pass.

18. bruthajoe

Edit I'll move to another thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the clever quotes an notes. Lessons learned. Be safe y'all

20. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

No one suggested you were damaging your coins. I added a separate comment. When you first posted to "roll on" the chemical I ASSUMED you were doing everything else (drying) correctly.

Sure, you carry it around on your body. ;)

This looks as if it can be turned into a beautiful coin.

Mainebill and bruthajoe like this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

It would dissolve the gloves and leave a mess on your fingers. Take that from experience. LOL

bruthajoe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted