PVC damage ??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barber dime 94s, May 25, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

image.jpg Hey folks
    Is this PVC damage on this coin ? If so is there anyway to remove it without damaging the coin ? If it can be removed from the coin will the coin be ok afterward ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Give it a bath in acetone. No rubbing. There is probably already damage under the green. The acetone will not hurt the coin.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  4. Barber dime 94s

So you think the PVC has already damaged it ?

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

To some extent, yes. But whether noticeable or not , you need to remove it first.

6. Barber dime 94s

image.jpg
    The coin is on eBay , could probably get it for less than 10 bucks. It's a AU 53/55 coin with good luster , listing states it has PVC spots. I was thinking if it could be removed with out the result being a damaged problem coin I'd see if I could get it fairly cheap. Since I know nothing about pvc I don't know if it would be worth the chance. Here's the listing photo. The reverse doesn't have any of these spots.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You never know what's hiding under the PVC. Acetone is worth a try.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

At that price you might have fun playing with it.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  9. Barber dime 94s

I'm thinking about giving it a shot if the bids don't get past 10 or 12 bucks. Is it unheard of for someone to remove PVC and the damage to be very little or unnoticeable ?? How long would I leave it in the acetone?

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not unheard of at all. The longer it's been there and the amount of humidity it's been stored in are big factors. There are some great threads here on the use of acetone. I let a coin soak for a few hours and change the acetone and soak again. I might do this several times.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Think, what would it be worth if there are pits the size of the pvc spots and deeper where it is nearly black ( chin).

12. Barber dime 94s

I took in to account it may be worse than it looks once the PVC is removed. I didn't win the coin , it went higher than I felt comfortable going . I really do appreciate the help though .
    On a different note , I was looking at a ngc coin I have and I don't know for sure but it almost looks like green PVC at a area near the rim. Would this be possible ? Wouldn't ngc have labeled it's as a problem coin ?

13. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Try Verdi-Care on it. Follow directions, though. I posted a thread here at CT on how I used it on some coins with PVC green stuff on them.

14. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Your killing me with all these posts about Barber Dimes.. Your making me want some. You may have an eBay competitor with me now. LOL :smuggrin:

15. Barber dime 94s

16. Barber dime 94s

I'm sure eBay has enough for both of us. Watch out though, once you buy a couple you can't stop. LOL

17. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

This looks more like carbon spotting than PVC residue to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted