PVC and paper money.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Detecto92, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I purchased a couple of world notes at an auction.

I took one of the notes out, and sniffed it (don't ask me why:D).

Well, the note smelled horribly of a shower curtain.

Well the holder is made out of PVC.

I know PVC will damage coins ,but what about paper money?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I can see that you've started a new thread here. Why haven't you responded to anything that was said in your thread about why you never find anything? Someone asked a question in an attempt to help you find more notes on July 9th but their response has gone unanswered: http://www.cointalk.com/t209513-2/#post1484023

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

PVC is sometimes used as a barrier surface for paper signs and tags, such as "For sale" signs for waterproofing. The plasticizers that cause the problems with coins combines with moisture to produce reactive components that react with metals ( copper and silver more than nickel). Paper and linen are made of pulped wood or vegetable material that can contain acids themselves ( such as tannic acids) so are somewhat naturally resistant. Yes it is better to use other material to relieve your mind, or eliminate the smell, but it is a much lesser problem than with metal material.IMO.

5. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if a ziploc bag would be okay for storing paper money, as it does not have pvc in it.

6. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Interesting question... (no idea)

7. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

When PVC is exposed to moisture, it tends to produce hydrochloric acid in small amounts. Over time, this can cause discoloration and make the paper more brittle. We're talking about years and years.

I had purchased some of the rigid holders under the promise of a dealer than they were PVC free. After looking around, I couldn't find any non-PVC holders with that specific design.

Although it might take 20 years for PVC to do any significant damage, I figured it's not worth it. I bought a new set of holders that are safe for long term storage and moved the valuable notes over to those.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Any container that is food quality would be acceptable, such as generic and brand name zip-lock type bags or such. Remember that if you live in a high mositure environment, you are much more suscepible to damage from pvc, fungal and mold contaminantion, and metallic corrosion than if you live in a desert or some of the poor drought stricken states.

Draft saved Draft deleted