PVC and airtite in safe

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by leaconcen, Oct 17, 2011.

1. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

I have all my coins and medals in an Airtite ring container, which are stored in a safe. If I have something in my safe that may contain PVC, do I need to be concerned about the coins/medals in an Airtite holder?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

As long as the coins are not in physical contact with the pvc containing material, there should not be any problem.

4. I would agree, though you might want to throw some silica gel in there too

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If the coins were in PVC and not acetone rinsed before being put into the airtites there could be a problem.

6. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Indeed. All coins should be rinsed with acetone prior to storage in an airtite either way. Not only will acetone remove surface debris, it will also dehydrate the coin.

7. leaconcen

Thanks for the advice. I have often used fingernail polish, which is basically acetone to remove the surface debris. I suppose I should stop washing off the acetone after using it now.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

PVC damage is not only a contact disease, it can also be an air-borne contamination. It is initiated by the plasticizer chemicals added to PVC to make it flexible as well as transparent. These chemicals outgas producing the "Plastic shower curtain" smell. If you can open the safe after it has been closed for a week or more and smell that smell, it could cause damage if the chemicals diffuse into the holders and contact the vulnerable metal, and start reacting with the surface of the coins in the presence of humidity. Eventually most of the plasticizer leaves the plastic and the possibility of damage is lower, but since also increases yellowing and cracking, many collectors replace it with fresh new transparent PVC pages or holders and the process renews its action.

There is no need to have any PVC in the safe. They make non-plasticized vinyl as well as polypropylene binders and pages, all of which are very safe. And I do agree with Thad on the acetone, just be sure the rinses are fresh and pure, or spots or white areas will appear on the coin surfaces, especially proofs.

Do not use any fingernail remover. Get a can of pure acetone ( pint, etc.) at Walmart, Lowes or home depot as some removers can have perfumes and other organic substances , even waxes in one example I checked, that may have a bad effect on metal.

Jim

9. Numismat

I used to use nail polish remover, but learned quickly that that is an absolutely TERRIBLE method.
    You want pure acetone, like the kind you buy at a hardware store. The nail polish remover has additives that leave your coins with a permanent residue or discoloration. But be careful with coins of certain content, such as pure copper, as acetone has been known to leave them with odd discoloration.
    Some people will tell you that acetone will never discolor your coins. Make sure you keep in mind that these people obviously have limited or no experience, as anyone that has used it extensively knows full well that it can discolor some metals and alloys.

10. BadThad

NEVER use nail polish remover on coins. It contains ethylacetate and other ingredients that are harmful to coins.

11. desertgem

Please explain how acetone can chemically react with metals such as copper, silver, or any coin related alloys. It doesn't! If any discoloration occurs, it is from the reaction with material previously on the coin, or improper rinsing or contamination of the acetone used. If this implied effect occurs, the person with extensive experience, is obviously using it incorrectly.

Jim

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, have it your way. But see the sentence underlined above. With these coins you're using the acetone on, just how do know what was, or still is on the coin ? Simple fact #1 is, you don't. Simple fact #2 is, some coins turn weird colors after being dipped in acetone.

And that is the only thing that matters - the end result.

13. BadThad

As usual, I have to agree with Jim. Metals cannot react with acetone.

14. desertgem

A little out of context Doug. I was responding to the quoted part,

with this :

The (metal - acetone) is not the reaction, it is either something on the coin or something in the acetone that causes the reaction.True, some "treatments", other than acetone such as the various organic oil/wax mixtures that can remain in microscopic pits/rough areas of the surface and may react with acetone. But one should not blame acetone for that.

Jim

15. Numismat

Unless the coin is lustrous and mint state, there will always be something else on the surface. Acetone will react with organic compounds in patina, especially the type that forms on copper coins, and I've noticed it giving an unnatural shine like chemical cleaning to some aluminum-bronze coins. I apologize if you read my post as implying that acetone reacts with the metal itself, which was not my intention.

16. GDJMSP

Does it matter ?

I understood what you were doing Jim. But the fact is, some copper coins, after being dipped in acetone, turn weird colors.

So saying the acetone is not to blame is kind of moot since if they had not been dipped in the acetone, they would not have turned the weird colors.

I'm not a chemist like you guys. Don't pretend to be either. And I cannot argue with you about chemical reactions. But there is a problem when you tell people that dipping copper coins in acetone will not and cannot hurt them. Because it does sometimes.

It doesn't matter that the acetone is reacting with this on the coin, or that on the coin. All that matters is that it is in fact reacting with something, and only on copper coins, and that the coin can turn weird colors as a result of being dipped in the acetone.

I'll grant you on silver, nickel, gold - you can dip your coins in acetone from now until the cows come home and there is never any reaction, the coins never turn weird colors afterwards. And the worst thing I have ever seen is that the coin sometimes gets a whitish cast to it if you don't dip it in distilled water afterwards. As both of you know, I've made recommendations to literally thousands of people to dip their coins, and yes even copper coins when the situation warrants it, in acetone. I have nothing against acetone !

But to pretend, or to tell people that it is 100% safe to dip their copper coins in acetone because copper cannot react with acetone - is just plain foolish. The people need to understand that there is some risk if they do that. It doesn't matter if the acetone is, as you say, not at fault. All that matters is the end result of it being done. Face it, it happens. And to state it doesn't happen, or cannot happen, is ridiculous because it does.

17. leaconcen

Whatever the reaction is, I have seen for myself that cooper or brass seems to react negatively more often than the other metals. Maybe it is oxidized copper that is reacting to the acetone. I will use the acetone on the metals that seem to react to it less. As a medal collector who buys white metal among other metals, I have found using acetone valuable in cleaning off the residue often left on the surface.

18. jjack

jjack Captain Obvious

For coins that come in mint issue plastic pouches and holders, is it wise to remove them and throw them into airtite?

19. desertgem

OK, I know as we have been through this discussion several times before, that we have definite opinions. I will accept that you have seen a change occur with copper when acetone was involved. I have used gallons of acetone with no bad effect except for 2 proof wheat cents years ago, which produced white spots, until I used a longer acetone procedure and they disappeared. Meanwhile I probably have saved myself from hundred of cases where a fresh fingerprint could have been on the coin and the acetone removed it before the fingerprint could etch the metal. Same for PVC contamination as the plasticizers are colorless, and only develop the greenish/blue slime when it has actually damaged the metal. So I choose the acetone direction and feel sorry for those who develop PVC, fingerprint, spit, or fly excrement damage because they didn't use acetone on acquired coins that look OK at the time. If one turns odd because I didn't notice MS70 oil or such on it, my fault, not the acetone.

But I understand why one might not use acetone, and of course it is their coin. I do stand by the statement that pure acetone does not react with copper per se ( not counting such temperature, pressure, or combinations there of, that are not normal for life). To each their own way.

Jim :)

20. GDJMSP

Jim I'm not saying to not use acetone on copper coins. In the past 2 days alone I've made 2 or 3 posts where I have told people to do just that - to dip their copper coins in acetone. What I am saying is that when you tell people that acetone is 100% safe to use on copper coins, you are doing those people a disservice. What anyone should be doing is saying to go ahead and use the acetone on copper, but keep in mind that there is a risk in doing so, for some of those coins may turn color. Or, they may not. People just need to be made aware - that's all.

Consider if you will, the product MS70. It's a great product, it does a wonderful job of removing haze and unsightliness on silver, nickel, gold and clad coins. But dip an MS copper coin in the stuff and a lot of the time the coin turns blue. Dip a circulated copper coin in it and there's usually no effect.

Copper is by far the most reactive of all the common coinage metals we have. It'll react with minute amounts of almost anything. It can be contaminants in the air, it can be a bit too much humidity, body oils, and pretty much any chemical known to man. Everybody knows this and nobody disputes it - ever. The only time the debate ever comes up is when acetone is the subject.

You say you've never seen it happen. OK, I can believe that. I can believe it because for years I never saw it happen either. But, I had heard many others claim that it happened. And just like you, I was skeptical. Then I did see it happen. And when you see things happen with your own eyes you tend to believe it.

Now do you honestly believe that I'd sit here and lie about it ? Why would I do such a thing, what could I possibly have to gain by lying ? You and everybody else on this forum know for a fact that I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong about something - when I'm wrong. You've seen me do it numerous times. So it's definitely not an ego thing because I don't have a problem with being wrong - and admitting it.

What it is is you not being willing to believe me because you haven't seen it happen. Well Jim, I'd wager that there's a lot of things that you haven't seen with your own eyes, but you still believe them to be true. This is one that should be added to that list. And not only for your own benefit, but for the benefit of the people you advise as well.

21. BadThad

Doug, if it makes you feel better, I have seen the effect you're talking about on a couple of occasions. However, it's not a reaction, it's simple dehydration. An organic surface residue or even corrosion will change in appearence after it's been dehydrated by the acetone. You have to realize that acetone is a very strong desiccant.

I've seen you mention a post-acetone dip in distilled water to "prevent" the white haze. In reality, the water simply rehydrates the offending compound and the water is not removing anything nor the acetone.

Draft saved Draft deleted