Putting together a Dansco Morgan date set, any suggestion?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bullionboy, Nov 25, 2008.

1. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

Before I embark, I thought I'd ask for some collective wisdom on putting together a Dansco Morgan date set. Since it's going in a Dansco, super high value isn't important. I'm mostly looking to capture the frost and features of the Morgan series. I'd love a CC mint, but I doubt that will happen. Any thoughts would be great. I'm shooting for a minimum MS-60 state.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think it could be done, just about each year has some cheaper dates with the exception of a couple. Both 1893 and 1895 will be very expensive in MS60...no matter which mint you go with. Other than those two years, every year pretty much has at least one easy date that is affordable in those grades.

Depending on your financial status, you may have to look at 1893 and 1895 as circulated coins.

As far as Carson City coins, look at 1878-CC, 1882-CC, 1883-CC, and 1884-CC as the most affordable.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Three suggestions:

#1 -- Have you considered how much it will be for an entire set of MS 60 or above coins? The point being, be sure you can afford to complete a set.

#2 -- I think a nicely matched AU or even XF set will be MORE attractive than a bunch of ugly, beat up MS 60-63 coins (as most of them are).

#3 -- Try and match the "look" of each coin. The best sets, IMO, are matched sets. This also pushes up the difficulty/time of completing a set, but the results are worth it.

All IMHO and based on my experience only, while respectful of others with differing experiences and opinions....Mike

5. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

I never start a set that I can't finish..That's just me. Like Joe Nameth once said, " If you don't go all the way, don't bother to go at all"

6. Leadfoot

p.s. you better be sure you are very good at grading and identifiying "problem" coins before starting your project (or otherwise mitigate the risks associated), or chances are you will end up with a set you will look back on with something less than satisfaction.

7. Leadfoot

:thumb: I wish I had the same focus. Unfortunately, I've made each and every one of the three "mistakes" listed above. Live and learn....Mike

8. CamaroDMD

This is an excellent point. Because of their popularity and value, Morgan's are commonly cleaned and altered. There are plenty of good coin's out there but there are many problem coins as well. So, beware of that.

9. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

Care to elaborate on problem coins? I don't plan on spending a ton on this set, I just love Morgans and Peace dollars and I needed some reason to buy a buch of them.:)

10. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

I'm going to get a new a camera soon, so I'll just rely on you guys for help!!! That said, I know what I like in a Morgan and what I don't. I'm sure most Morgans have been cleaned already. I'm sure I'll be ripped off at some point but my collection needs some direction. I'd like do a Peace set as well, but you guys are giving me doubts. Maybe should just collect the Prez dollars!!! :headbang:

11. Leadfoot

Please don't take this the wrong way, and apologizing in advance for my bluntness:

If you have to ask, you're not ready.

Seriously.

12. CamaroDMD

From my experience, Morgan's are commonly cleaned to make them appear more lustrous or nicer. Here is an example of a low grade key date Morgan in my collection which has been harshly cleaned. This one won't fool anyone but some are better than this. I bought this coin at a local coin shop and knew what it was and got a decent price on it...so I was OK with the deal. eBay has a very bad habit of sellers with cleaned Morgan's selling them as UNC using bad photos...so beware.

[​IMG]

PS, even though this coin is cleaned and a problem coin...I still love it. :cool:

13. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

What are the tricks for achieving luster or whiteness?

14. Leadfoot

To answer your question, what I meant by "problem" coins are coins that are:

1) Cleaned
    2) Tooled
    3) Whizzed
    4) Artifically toned
    5) Counterfeit
    6) Corroded
    7) Overpriced
    8) Overgraded
    9) Overdipped

And I'm sure there are a few more that haven't come to mind.....but the bottom line is until you can look at a coin and be reasonably sure that it is NOT any of the above (or if it is, priced accordingly), you should consider furthering your numismatic education rather than buying coins.

Respectfully submitted and hoping to help....Mike

15. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

I'll have to take a photo of a few of my Morgans that I like to show you guys what I'm aiming for. One I cleaned myself with Simple Green!!!!! That I got out of a junk silver bucket 10 years ago. So, even I have cleaned them:eek:

16. djjq29

djjq29 Member

Morgan Date Set

Pay attention to the values of the better date and key date coins. Even at MS-60, price may begin to be an issue (Don't know what budget you have in mind). The reason I say this is while you can get some of the more common dates at a "reasonable" price in MS60, the better dates will be more costly and you may end up getting frustrated in your collecting pursuit.

There are several good reference books on Morgan Dollars out there. I would suggest buying one first before you begin any major purchases so that you can learn the series and what to look for with each date. With me, I like Barber Dimes and purchasing the book really helped me.

If you are interested in the major details of the coin, VF-AU coins could also be an option (at a lower cost). In my experience, some AU coins I have seen look way better than some MS60 coins (that have a ton a bag-marks).

Good luck and remember to have fun.

17. Leadfoot

Dipping, cleaning, whizzing.

18. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

I appreciate your bluntness and I wasn't offended. This isn't going to be a super serious effort, just something I'll enjoy and learn more about the series as I go. I'm purposely avoiding high end coins for this album. That is an entirely different pursuit. I'd be a CC buyer if I go that route. But I figure this is how I can really learn the set and like I said it's an excuse to buy Morgans!!! Dollar coins are my thing, the only other love would be gold and some halves. I do like the designs on smaller coins, but a single nice specimen would do. I don't think it's possible to have too many silver dollars.

All that said, I totally see your point and I will take my time and ask questions. I just need some direction on my collection so I bought some albums. I'd get bored if I had to save up for one nice coin every time.

If I wind up with a set of junk so be it.

19. CamaroDMD

You know, a date set of problem free VF coins is actually a very attractive set and something worth considering if you are on a budget. That can be done for reasonable cost and looks really good. In those grades your still gonna have to set aside several hundred dollars for a 1893 and an 1895 but the rest of the set should be inexpensive as long as you go for common dates. One thing I would also consider (if it was me) would be to try and get a least one example from each mint. Morgan's were minted at 5 mints...which is a lot for a series. The only date that makes you a stickler with is 1921 as that was the only year the coin was minted in Denver.

I think it would be a very fun set to put together. Honestly, even a low grade set (as low as VG) would be fun...IMHO, the Morgan is a very attractive coin in low grades. I would look around and see if you like how the coin looks in circulated grades...look at prices and just see what you can do.

Another thing to think about too is a date set of Peace Dollars. That would be much more manageable in MS60. A couple dates (1921, 1928, 1934) will set you back a few hundred each...but it's another option. MS60 would be much more affordable in Peace Dollars.

Also, one big thing to consider is higher AU coins. MS60 coins don't have any circulation wear but tend to have a ton of bag marks. AU55 coins (and especially AU58) have a touch of wear but can be found with very few bag marks. They are often very attractive coins...much more attractive than MS60 and less expensive.

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

make a lot of money...

21. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

My Morgan set is nearly completed....after just 25 years! My advise would be to buy the key dates first. Most Morgans sit idle at a price for years, but the keys are unpredictable. Get them out of the way as soon as you can. Good luck!
    Guy~

Draft saved Draft deleted