Purposely Ruined Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This is going to fit like a glove...

Since my pup been Ill my coin budget has been in the negative....but no worries ....anyway I still window shop. I quite offten share finds with other member friends. On a daily basis I hear from a well known member here on my cel phone with his finds... yes us variety guys get very passionate about the hunt as well the find.
    Well I ran across a really nice as well rare seated Liberty quarter. I sent my friend Nathan a member here a link to it just in case he was interested. I told him to go for it as I was tapped out on the coin budget.

So the next thing I know is I recieved a text message saying that he purchased it and gifting it to me. Wow...... Speechless. Thank you so much the FS -901 is a very rare variety clashed with a FEC as can be well seen on the images posted.
    s-l1600-7.jpg s-l1600-27.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

4. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

6. ZoidMeister

7. ZoidMeister

8. ZoidMeister

9. ZoidMeister

10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That one I like. Counter stamped coins have some really interesting history to research. I have to take this one off any list of ruined coins, unless of course it was a key U.S. coin.

-jeffB and ZoidMeister like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

Here is one with a much more obscure origin.

I'm still in the dark about who might be it's creator.

Z

IMG_4237.JPG IMG_4236.JPG

Gilbert and tommyc03 like this.
  12. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I see you have posted this on another forum? I did find a Margaret Bell Wilcot but the dates are not close to this 1922 coin. (Ancestry.com)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

AdamL likes this.
  15. ZoidMeister

Zoid gets around donchakno . . . . . .

I found the same reference to Margaret Bell Wilcot. Seems she only lived twenty years (1870 - 1890) and left two children on her passing. Perhaps this unique counter-stamped Peace Dollar was made in honor of Mom, who died way too young.

Assuming Margaret was around 16 / 18 when her children were born, this Peace Dollar wasn't minted until her oldest child would have been in his / her early 30's.

Z

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. ZoidMeister

Speaking of "Purposely Ruined Coins", here is another "genre" of ruined coins for your consideration . . . . .

Z

Screenshot_20221129-210004_eBay.jpg HBN18J75 Uncle Mitchell - obverse.JPG SteveOrino - HBN20K43 - Skinny Enrique  - (obverse).jpg SteveOrino - HBN20K63 - Uncle Bartholomew (obverse).jpg SteveOrino - HBN20L25 - Santa Baby 10  - (obverse).JPG

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Found in the coinstar reject slot today.
    upload_2022-12-2_10-22-35.jpeg
    upload_2022-12-2_10-22-16.jpeg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Hobo nickels are cool if they are old. If they are beyond redemption as collectible today, that's okay also. They are serving a purpose as an art form. I guess the ones that really bother me are stuff like plated coins, stickered coins, painted coins all done after the fact and not some Mint issued coins.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

My sister gave me these and I was really pumped up until I opened the box. I didn't tell her what I planned to do with them; I just thanked her and smiled.
    20221202_113850.jpg

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. ZoidMeister

Another realm of "purposely ruined coins" are those "defaced" as an honorarium for members of fellowships, brotherhoods, or "secret societies" . . . . Masonic Pennies are just such pieces.

These are a bit more difficult to obtain. Most more modern Masonic Pennies are stamped from dedicated dies, but there are earlier examples where the host coin was a large cent or English penny.

This is the singular example that I own.

Z

IMG_2781.JPG IMG_2780.JPG

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. ZoidMeister

Another ruined coin I recently picked up.

If this one doesn't give you heart palpitations, nothing will . . . . .

Z

IMG_4318.JPG IMG_4320.JPG

tommyc03 and Abramthegreat like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted