Purging my collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Jan 29, 2021.

1. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I might be interested in any Hungarian coins you have.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I pretty much got rid of those already. I had a lot of 1 and 2 fillers.

tibor likes this.
  4. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Group,
    Reading the above entries have been very interesting and in many I see my younger self. I.E. when I started collecting it was U.S. World, Tokens...any 'stamped metal' thing!...
    Now at 76 yrs. young(?) I have a collection of less than 100 coins and have opted for QUALITY, not QUANTITY. This is what works for me and in no way would I ever suggest that collecting the way YOU enjoy is anything other than correct.
    Enjoy collecting & have it your way.
    J.T.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I LOVE junk bins

Hiddendragon likes this.
  6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@Hiddendragon Thank you. I'm usually late to the party. This time
    I guess I'll help fold the chairs and tables.;)

Hiddendragon likes this.
  7. offa the saxon

offa the saxon Well-Known Member

Once a collector always a collector. I’ve been collecting 59 years this year and I am still excited by new finds

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would like to see all of your 15,000 coins.

Matthew Kruse and Kentucky like this.
  9. Hiddendragon

It would take the rest of my life to get pictures unfortunately.

offa the saxon and svessien like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I can wait lol

11. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I am about ready to take this step! I'll keep my Japanese and Albanians (and please let me know if you have something there that is up for sale :D). But I'm thinking everything else is fair game. Just have to figure out venues and whatnot.

spirityoda and Hiddendragon like this.
  12. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

I've been purging mine now for over a year. Mostly focusing on problem coins (e.g. holes, bent, graffiti, excessive wear) and duplicate pieces. It's definitely been difficult at times, as you don't realize how attached you've become to a particular piece until you contemplate listing it for sale :(

Hiddendragon likes this.
  13. Hiddendragon

I try to get rid of this sort of thing too. Like I had a Greek drachma from 1833 with a hole. It's the only one I have of that type but I still decided I don't want damaged coins so I'm getting rid of it.

QuintupleSovereign likes this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I do not like purges. I have collected with no goals/ just get what catches my eye and what I can afford. To prove my point, since 2021 began, I have added 10 new additions to my collection. They are all diverse...#1-8
    thailand-6676895-O.jpg 58684_stater.jpg samatata-temp-bhaskaravarman-ca-640-656-6696820-XL.jpg sicily-syracuse-405-400-bc-av-6649290-XL.jpg johore-alauddin-riayat-shah-iii-6697409-XL.jpg 42063_magas_obol.jpg 2020120109385534695722_w1200h1200.jpg 2020120109424744245759_w1200h1200.jpg lf (47).jpg lf (48).jpg

talerman and spirityoda like this.
  15. Hiddendragon

Panzerman, it's a little different when you're buying big money coins at auction like you are compared to what I was doing, going through eBay listings looking for missing dates in my Netherlands 1 cent set.

baseball21, Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  16. panzerman

I agree, my point was, a have never "purged" my collection. I basically keep on collecting. But then I have no specific goals, I am in it to have fun. I know a lot of you collect types/ certain Countries/ periods in history. I am a oddball collector, everything out there that I like I try to get/ if my wallet can afford it of course. I did "purge" my insect collector to use the $ to buy coins, But that was a "hard' decision:( IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0267.JPG IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0288.JPG

Attached Files:

17. Sealgair

Sealgair Member

I’ll admit to being a hoarder (many rural Mainers are—“junk is what you call something you threw away a week before you realized what you needed it for”). But I caught the coin bug when I had a paper route customer who always gave me a silver dollar every Xmas (Peace—you could just get them from the bank in the 40-50s). It remained a very casual pastime until my first grandchild was born, then the enterprise took off in two major directions—history (including family matters) and intellectual culture (including aesthetics). (There is a financially significant aspect to a big chunk—Morgans, some numismatically interesting bullion like ASEs and wedge-tailed eagles—but that is more a money thing and while I give regular gifts of expensive coins to the, those are more part of their inheritance, at least to start.) So I started a US type collection (knowing that there would be many holes) and a fairly comprehensive Canadian group (to remind my younger ones of their New Brunswick great-grandmother. One historical thread is 18th to 20th c Europe where shifting politics (and armed conquest) can be traced in the coinage. The number and sophistication of bthe questions can change as the new children’s minds develop. The ancients could start with the “biggies”—Nero, Cleopatra, Alexander—and develop into an interest in Roman Britain, since the kids are majority English and Irish in heritage. What Nazi or Fascist countries continued to display likenesses of the old aristocracy and why? What can we infer from the change of coinage from large copper (Catherine the Great) and silver (various thalers) to aluminum? (I was in Poland shortly after the USSR collapse and saw piles of zlotys lying on the ground everywhere, worthless in people’s eyes even for bulk metal.) So I hope that these sorts of things are so open-ended that interest could go in almost any direction. (A couple idiosyncratic interests—raptors and mythical beasties—may be just plain fun, as they are for me.) As the newest generation age, I hope the questions will feed each other, and it they don’t, the fact that Grandpa Jeffrey put these collections together make be valuable enough on their own to make the effort worth it.

Hiddendragon and panzerman like this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Those are magnificent. The colors spectacular. Someday money willing I will buy more butterflies. I have 1 leaf bug and 1 beetle so far. That is a quarter for size comparison.

Image03182018114700.jpg
    Image03182018114712.jpg
    DSC_9643 copy.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Hiddendragon and panzerman like this.
  19. panzerman

I sold about 1/3 of my coll. for 300K so far. It was a sad day when I sold my first rare butterfly. But my wife was kinda mad at me for having two really $$$$ hobbies. Problem with the bugs/ Countries where shutting down collecting/ then stupid CITES regulations=too many hassles. Also many Countries are dangerous to collect/ mostly in Africa.

spirityoda likes this.
  20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

300K wow. How many years were you collecting butterflies ? let's see a pics of your rarest butterflies.

panzerman likes this.
  21. TonkawaBill

TonkawaBill Well-Known Member

I'm for Lincoln Cents, Canada Silver Canoe Dollars, German Silver 5 Mark Koin with the Bird

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted