Purchasing Coins with Pedigree

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CoinBlazer, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I don't blame you for wanting that coin. Great reply to thread question. Makes alot pesoes (sense)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

It's getting to the point where no one outside the coin hobby or late night TV watching, knows who Buddy Ebsen is.

PlanoSteve and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Hookman

Stick your finger down your throat. What noise do you make?

5. Hookman

From the article : "... said Q. David Bowers, chairman emeritus of Stack’s Bowers Galleries. “This hoard is one of the greatest finds since the book was published in the 1990s, and it’s quite different from most others in that it contains tons of what used to be pocket change but is now, in every instance, a collectible.” "

I read that statement as : " We have tons of ordinary, circulated coins that we are going to hype as much as we can until we get them all sold. ".

That's my take on it.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I have an 1857-S double eagle in MS-65 that came from the SS Central America. I will probably be buried in it because there are way too many of them to support the 5 figure prices they were bringing.

The great thing about them is that you can get a Type 1 double eagle in high grade like MS-65. Prior to the discovery of the shipwreck coins, that was almost impossible. Very few collectors could afford to set $20 aside in a coin cabinet doing nothing in the 1850s and ‘60s. Type 2 double eagles are very rare in high grade because none of them have been recovered from shipwrecks.

If you do decide to buy an SS Centrol America coin, I would advise you to buy one in an old holder. All of these coins were curated after they are taken out of the seawater. Some of them have not been stable. They have gotten very ugly copper stains that lowers the value of the pieces.

If a coin has been in the holder for four or five years or more, and not changed, chances are it's stable.

Hookman and Paul M. like this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Never heard of that collection. Probably would not consider it in important pedigree.

8. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Agreed, I don't know much about the collection but it was a big Connecticut collection with an amazing number of R7 varieties and condition census coins.

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I have some from the Eric Newman collection. I'm happy to have them and I did not pay a huge premium for them.

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I once owned a foreign coin that had been owned by King Farouk. It was purchased in his auction. A friend sold it to me for $10. It was cool, but not cool enough to keep... or remember.

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted