Purchase from this weekend

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jfscmedic, Jan 30, 2017.

1. jfscmedic

jfscmedic Well-Known Member

Bought a number of coins this weekend from my local dealer. Most were slabbed but going through one box of "Raw" coins I found this Really Nice 1884-O Morgan still in the original flip it came in when purchased in Feb 1990. The buyer also noted he paid $23.50 for the coin at that time. The company had it listed as MS-60 But I think it's much nicer than that.

a.JPG b.JPG c.JPG

charlietig, Cascade and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I always feel those old shiny coins have been cleaned. But that aside, looks like the D in dollar has taken a hit? MS-62/63.
    A nice coin. I agree that either the older grades are a little lower or the newer grades are a little softer and they grade higher.
    I don't know what year they changed the grading ( late 80's?) but this could have been graded on the old criteria where it was either MS 60 or MS 65 even if it fell between those 2 numbers. If it's not a 65 it had to be a 60.

ddddd likes this.
  4. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

I would say its close to correct. MS 60/61 I wouldn't say higher then 62 but then again the pictures don't do it justice. Its got nice breast feathers but the obverse looks like where most of the problems lie.

Draft saved Draft deleted