Pupienus and the year of the Six Emperors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GregH, Jan 7, 2016.

1. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Being rather poor at the moment, I made a humble first purchase for 2016:

pupienus.jpg

Pupienus, AR Antoninianus. IMP CAES M PVPIEN MAXIMVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / PATRES SENATVS, clasped hands.

I was trying to get myself off coins cold turkey, but unfortunately it wasn't to be, I just had to get my fix - and with only the rare emperors left to collect, it had to be Pupienus.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the first two Gordians? I need those too!

ro1974, dlhill132, Cucumbor and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I would love to own any of the coins from the years of the 4/5/6 emperors. :)

randygeki and GregH like this.
  4. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Well I also have Balbinus.. One of my favourite coins actually: balbinus.jpg

Cilicia, Tarsus: Balbinus, 238 AD. AE 36 mm, 24.31 gm. Obv: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: Pupienus(?), radiate, on horseback right, casting javelin at lion leaping right beneath with head left; A in legend, M/K and G/B in fields. SNG Levante Supp. 280 (this coin)

But I lack the first two Gordians :( #firstworldproblems

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice... I don't have one of him, or the elder Gordians. I always think of Pupienus and Balbinus as the Laurel and Hardy act of the 3rd century. If Laurel and Hardy wanted to kill each other, that is. Here's my Hardy...
    image.png

6. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

If i recall correctly, Balbinus and Pupienus didn't get along, and the Praetorian guards were so sick of them squabbling that they decided to kill them.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

rx0640bb2238.jpg My only coin from 238 is Gordian III as Caesar. It should be more rare than the others but because it shows the same person who later became most common, demand is low.

ro1974, stevex6, dlhill132 and 10 others like this.
  8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

From what I've read, both Emperors were in the middle of an argument, accusing each other of stuff, when they saw a small group of armed Praetorians storming the palace. Instead of gathering their supporters and bodyguards together to easily repell this small group, they bitterly accused each other of trying to kill the other, and took no step to unite and repell the attack. The small group of armed Praetorians burst in and caught them in the middle of the stupid argument, and had both of them beheaded.

9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Yep I've heard Gordian III as Caesar is super-rare (actually I probably heard it from you - when I was starting out collecting, long before I participated in Coin Talk, I read all your online articles and learnt a lot!). I guess 'rare' implies 'valuable' only if there's high demand. So some rarities are surprisingly affordable, and the owner can have the thrill of owning something that is truly hard to find.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and Jwt708 like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Rare and expensive are not the same thing or my token collection would be much more valuable:(

Alegandron and GregH like this.
  11. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

And this is my Pupienus. No, I don't have the elder Gordians. This is a sestertius, it weighs 23,1 gr. Reverse shows Concordia with a double horn of plenty, a bit cynical because those two emperors lacked both. RIC IV, 20. You will find a few pictures on Wildwinds.

Pupienus.jpg

12. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Very nice. I love a nice big sestertius.

The elder Gordians are at the top of my shopping list. If only they weren't so damn expensive! And Pescennius Niger - his coins aren't just expensive, they're also incredibly ugly!

13. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

While bit harder to find than didius or niger, gordian I and II denarius usually appear in better conditions and quite often uncirculated. I wonder why that is, did they come out of a hoard find? Maybe even many hundreds years ago?

I have just one pupienus but it's one of my better portraits :woot:
    [​IMG]

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Congrats Greg (and everyone else) for the terrific coins posted!!!

I have only seen photos of the first two Gordians and I'm not aware of anyone I know actually owning any...Hmmm, perhaps AJ or IOM????

My modest contribution of a Balbinus and Pupienus sesterius:
    balbinus obverse.jpg balbinus reverse.jpg Pupienus sestertius.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    stevex6, dlhill132, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  15. brassnautilus

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since BN showed them, lets point out that the top coin is Gordian II and the second is Gordian I. The younger was bald in front of the wreath while the elder had hair.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  17. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Well, it seems only fair to post one of Gordian III, especially since I still wonder who the 'little dude' is on the reverse LOL

gordianus denar jupiter small figure.JPG

stevex6, dlhill132, TIF and 5 others like this.
  18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I've always wondered how rare these rare coins really are. Do we have any way of estimating, for example, how many Gordian I and II coins still exist? A few hundred? A few thousand? It does limit how many complete portrait series collections there can be.

19. brassnautilus

I'd guess about 500 together (probably 300:200, more gordian I than II). Just a wild guess.
    Again, it's strange that doesn't include many worn down examples of their denarii, mine are like mid grade, most are much better condition.
    Their bronze, in comparison, are maybe more rare, and more expansive if in equivalent condition.

GregH likes this.
  20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Denarii did not remain in general circulation long enough after 238 to get heavy wear. How many heavily worn Gordian III denarii have you seen?
    rx0520bb1814.jpg rx0525bb3056.jpg

ro1974, Cyrrhus, dlhill132 and 4 others like this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow yes... fantastic portrait!

Draft saved Draft deleted