Punch in same area of both side of quarter ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Yvon, May 7, 2024.

  1. Yvon

    Yvon New Member

    I have a 2000 Virginia Jamestown with mint mark P. I has a gouge / crevice over
    the year 2000 on the obverse side. That exact strike is seen over the word STATES on the reverse side.
    Also I feel like it is lacking the shine of the coins printed in 2000 as well. It is duller.
    So was this an error during minting process or is it a damaged coin. ?

    Thank you.
    IMG_4423[1236].jpg IMG_4424[1237].jpg IMG_4424[1237].jpg
    alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest

    to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

    derkerlegand Well-Known Member

    Damaged - looks like maybe heat damaged?
  4. mrweaseluv

    mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

    I am NOT an expert on these errors in any way, but that looks like it was spot heated in some way
    VistaCruiser69 and JPD3 like this.
  5. cwart

    cwart Senior Member Supporter

    Another not expert here, but heat was my first reaction too
    JPD3 likes this.
  6. paddyman98

    paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

    Yvon, coins are NOT printed.
    There is no ink used in the striking or minting of coins ;)
    Paper currency is printed.
    VistaCruiser69, JPD3 and Cheech9712 like this.
  7. Cheech9712

    Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

    Thanks for asking
    derkerlegand and JPD3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page