Pump Handle Error

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sting 60, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

I forgot I had this, but I had to look at it for a while before I remembered why I kept it. Does anyone know the population if known for this pump handle in the window? Regards.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

No clue but very nice error! :woot:

Sting 60 likes this.
  4. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

The approximate answer is - what is the average quarter die life? The mint says "The Mint uses penny dies to strike an average of one million pennies, but a dime die strikes only about 275,000 dimes." I would guess it's closer to the dime life since the composition is similar. So a couple hundred thousand seems reasonable. The unknown factor would be whether anyone noticed the defect and pulled the die early, which doesn't seem likely.

NGC designates this one as VP-001 and their census shows 2,285 graded, so it appears to be popular and common.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice research! I did find two for sale. One was sold for $69.99 graded MS66 and the other, $63.99 not graded. (2015 Homestead Quarter with Pump Handle reflection error! | eBay, Coins - National Park Quarters - 2015 Homestead Quarter - Doubled Pump Error - NGC 66 (avccoins.com)

lardan and Sting 60 like this.
  6. Sting 60

Thank you, I wasn't aware that there were that many graded, I'll keep mine raw. I do appreciate the info though. Thanks again.

7. Sting 60

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice, keep them coming. Thanks for sharing.

10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I thought that was interesting too. Excluding the W "Great American Coin Hunt" coins, it's by far the most-graded America the Beautiful quarter. https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/quarters/103/
    Cool variety!

Draft saved Draft deleted