Pulcheria?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Oct 25, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I spotted this bronze coin in a lot of partially cleaned coins. Is it Pulcheria? I did not find the examples of her bronze coins. Thanks.
    Pulcheria.jpg

Ryro likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Sure looks like it. I can't think or any other 4th-5th century empress with HE in the middle of her name. I wonder if it's a Vandalic-era imitation.

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Here is an example form WildWinds.
    [​IMG]
    Pulcheria, Constantinople, AE 3/4. Submitted by Doug Spangle, Nov. 2010

Bing likes this.
  5. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it's a fake, see this thread for similar fakes.

6. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I wonder on what basis that attribution was made. The reverse type is common to several empresses. I don't see any letters in the obverse inscription that would confirm Pulcheria. Perhaps it's just a bad photo, but I'm not ready to accept that coin as a definite Pulcheria. The OP is much more convincing.

Justin Lee likes this.
  7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I don't know on what grounds Doug Spangle attributed this coin, however, it has similarities to the coin gogili1977 posted. I did look at the thread seth77 posted & it doesn't look anything like those coins. seth77 may be correct in declaring the coin fake, but it doesn't look like the thread examples. Personally I wouldn't spend good money adding a coin in such poor shape to my collection regardless of its rarity.

8. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

I think that the flan fabric and the overall appearance are similar, while the design and lettering are off. There's also that wire border which does not look right at all for a 5th century nummus.

9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's interesting, because that is exactly what I was thinking. That seller/forger copies rare coins that look like the OP based out of the UK I think. Can't condemn from the photo alone, but I am very suspicious.

10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Back when I noticed those fakes with that particular flan fabric about 3-4 years ago, the seller was located in Serbia.

11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Thank you seth77, and I was doubted that such a rarity would be in the lot.

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Draft saved Draft deleted