Ptolemy III - Aphrodite Statue Series Question

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LostDutchman, Jun 9, 2015.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hi guys. I picked up a lot of coins from Cyprus the other day. This coin measures 19.8mm and weighs 7.3g. So the size matches up pretty well but it's a couple grams heavy. Thoughts?
    IMG_8637.JPG IMG_8639.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The coin is a nice looking coin and I see nothing that bothers me about it. However, Cyprus has some of the most strict antiquities laws and is why I generally stay away from sellers from that country. There are also a couple of sellers on Ebay from Cyprus that are on the NFSL. Just another reason to be careful. Have you checked this coin against the fake databases?

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. LostDutchman

The seller came to me highly recommended to me from friends "in the know". I looked through the databases and didn't see any matches.

5. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Legalities aside, it looks genuine to me---and it's fantastic---which always makes me a bit nervous too...

It even has the 'centering hole' and no obvious signs of casting that I can notice...but I'm only familiar with those chunky types and not an 'expert' by any sense of the imagination...

I'm sure the few members we have that extensively collect these types will post shortly..

Good luck!!!

LostDutchman likes this.
  6. LostDutchman

This has been my morning. Freshly delivered.

IMG_2951.JPG

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

WOW! Can I look thru them? What a treasure trove!

Mikey Zee and LostDutchman like this.
  8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

oh man, ptolemy coin with aphrodite reverse is high on my list....and that one is nice...WANT.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see signs on the coin that I believe would be hard to fake so I have no trouble accepting the coin as genuine. Legal to own is another question.

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

The MOA between the US and Cyprus was extended for five years in 2007. We are now beyond that extension. Does anyone know if it was renewed? Also, the MOA restricted imports of antiquities from Cyprus, but did not make them illegal. Dealers licensed by the Cypriot authorities could still legally export coins. This is similar to the arrangement in many Middle Eastern countries.

Are my facts straight, or does anyone know better?

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I just dabble in ancients , but I want it .

12. LostDutchman

That was my understanding of the current laws for the import of coins from Cyprus. From my research it appears that there were no further extensions.

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Again, legalities aside, all I can say is WOW!!! That's an incredible hoard!!!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  14. John Anthony

A pile of coins like that always looks impressive, but if you look closely, you'll find plenty of problem coins - corroded, harshly cleaned, extremely worn, extremely crusty, damaged. I have no doubt Matt will make a decent profit on the good coins, but there are quite a few in the bunch that are going to be hard to move, and with good reason.

The OP coin, however, is a gem, and I see a handful of other possible gems in the lot - hard to say without seeing both sides.

Mikey Zee and Ancientnoob like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow LostDutchman, that's a very cool addition (congrats) ...

... man, that looks like an enjoyable chore, sifting-through that pile of winners

:rolleyes:

16. LostDutchman

I completely agree. This was several lots of good and bad and ugly that I unpacked and piled up. I enjoy the sorting and identification of each piece. That's the fun!

17. John Anthony

You're preaching to the choir! :)

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

My stomach hurts.

LostDutchman likes this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I want/need a coin like the OP!

What a great mixed lot too :)

And this signature line...
    FunnySigLine_edited-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    zumbly, Kentucky and LostDutchman like this.
  20. LostDutchman

Ok guys... so some news to report. I have received several other packages and 1 did get flagged in US customs. It was opened and examined and then it was forwarded on to me complete. I would think that should put some closure on the legalities as the package was inspected and allowed to continue.

my pile grows...
    IMG_3214.JPG

Ancientnoob and zumbly like this.
  21. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Matt, i think you should send them to me for closer inspection.:D

stevex6, Kentucky and LostDutchman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted