Ptolemy I Tet - Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by frankjg, Jul 20, 2018.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

My father has had this coin for probably 30-35 years (maybe more). The story goes, he received it from his aunt who received it from a Greek sailor. Why she was hanging around Greek sailors, I have no idea ;-)

I don't have it in hand, however, I did take these pictures a few years ago and never got around to authenticating it.

Based on the pics, would anyone have opinions on if it's real or not?

He's got no way to weigh it and I've asked him to take a pic of the edge.

Thanks in advance

Rev.JPG

OBV.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks OK, but don't hold me to it. Many fakes are well done.

Paul M., Deacon Ray and frankjg like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's not possible to definitively determine authenticity based on images (and without weight and diameter) unless a cast fake match is seen. That said, it looks okay to me (<-- not an expert :D). The style is correct. The line around the edge is probably just shadows and reflection, not a casting seam. The device-field junctions do not look soapy. I don't see casting pearls. The wear looks believable. I don't see any matches in databases of forgeries.

I vote authentic :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. frankjg

Thanks guys, I wanted to get a quick read before I spend further time to authenticate it. My parents live in Florida and need EXPLICIT instructions on how to do anything with technology.

I'll probably wait until I visit them. Maybe it will take a trip home with me :)

Ryro, Deacon Ray and TIF like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That's an interesting coin - I believe it to be authentic as well. Nothing jumps out at me that suggests it is a cast forgery.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Only thing I ever got from Greek sailors was.... well, that's a different story....

Ryro, ominus1 and frankjg like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Florida is a big place but the easy answer would have been to take it to the large FUN coin show last week in Orlando and show it to dealers who have that sort of thing in stock. They might offer to buy it or laugh. Either way, you have your answer. Next big show is January. If you decide to take that route, contact us next December for suggestions of specific dealers to ask.
    http://www.funtopics.com/fun-convention.html

Deacon Ray and Curtisimo like this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

looks authentic to me..but i'm on the bus with all the other peeps.:)

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto!

Alegandron likes this.
  11. frankjg

Thanks Doug, that’s a great idea. We will likely visit in January, seems like I’ll have to plan it around FUN.

12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I think its a well circulated authentic tet, here's the full description:

ptolemy wildwinds.jpg

Coinneseur, Curtisimo, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I second what everyone has already said. One thing though, I would remind your family not clean it or buff it in any way.
    I had a friend who wanted to get some inherited coins appraised. She shined up all the silver coins before having them checked out. I wish I had warned her but it didnt cross my mind at the time.

TIF, ominus1 and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  14. I vote authentic. You should be proud. It's very rare that someone comes into this forum, with a story like yours, and posts an authentic coin; especially given the type. They're not seen very often on this forum.

lordmarcovan and ominus1 like this.
  15. frankjg

My father can’t find the coin. “It was sitting on a shelf”

Facepalm.

Alegandron and Coinneseur like this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O...bummer!.. well, maybe it'll resurface...it prolly in a nook or crany somewhere..

17. frankjg

I'm sure it was overlooked. They'll find it.

ominus1 likes this.
  18. RomanGreekCoin3

RomanGreekCoin3 Active Member

You need to measure weight and diameter before realling getting a good examination

Some Modern pressed fakes can be extremely difficult to detect

Of course if it is indeed 35 years old, the chances of it being fake are slim.Would have been too hard to fool back then

19. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

How have forgers changed their methods since 1983?

NOS likes this.
  20. arashpour

arashpour Well-Known Member

I agree on that and that is why pedigree is very important to me well pedigreed coin is like a hoard coin and I never let them be missed. I have some pedigree to 1800s and early 1900s. Specially the case for chinese cast coin (have been fakes extensively after 1980s as factories in china do that) and I got a collection of chinese ancient coin with pedigree of 1940s which made me much at ease to trust them than some random chinese ancient coin on ebay or VCoins.

RomanGreekCoin3 likes this.
  21. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

derkerlegand. Other than a Greek coin, were you expecting anything else from the sailors ? - Hadn't Ptolemy I been a general with Alexander the Great ?

Draft saved Draft deleted