Ptolemy I Overstruck, Light Tetradrachm

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nemo, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Although I have long admired the coins of Ptolemy I, and enjoy having a few in my collection, I never realized an obvious problem.

There are clearly two weight standards (possibly three but the third may have been later, under Ptolemy II) for his Elephant headdress/Athena tetradrachms, that being 17g and 15.6g. After a quick and completely unscientific analysis, it appears the majority are of the lower weight standard. Furthermore, there are examples of this series in good silver with the same monograms but of the different weights.

One would think this dramatic weight difference would immediately be noticed but, alas, that was not the case until I added this tet to my collection. The label on it’s plastic tomb (now freed) described it as damaged although it is simply an overstrike and in beautiful style at that.

PtolemyI26mms.jpg

After purchasing it I posted it over at Forvm, wondering if the undertype could be identified, and a kind member directed me to "THE OVERSTRUCK COINAGE OF PTOLEMY I" by Brooks Emmons. It explains the fascinating story behind the adjusted weight standard that abruptly changed mid-issue. It is available for free, online, with a quick google search.

The heavy issues were withdrawn from circulation in 306/305 BC and reissued after weight adjustment. They were trimmed to remove 1.5g of silver, heated and restruck. This must have been faster than melting them down into bullion and restriking.

Some of these issues, such as the one above (26mm, 15.68g), show the clear evidence of the edges being trimmed, although many do not.

Does this have to do with how hot the flan was and how hard the strike or were some flans hammered before striking? My second example below, larger and lighter at 30mm, 15.65g, does not show the trimming but there are remnants of the undertype.

Ptolemy 30mms.jpg

Why the adjustment? Ptolemy was feeling the financial burden of repelling Antigonus’ invasion and supporting Rhodes through a thirteen-month siege. The government needed extra currency and Egypt produced little or no silver. The recall of the heavy issues meant 8 tetradrachms were restruck into 9 “Crisis Issues” but with no change in the appearance of the dies.
    After reading the article I sat, sipping tea, and staring at the coin hoping to make out the undertype on the first example. Once your eyes adjust to it, I believe it’s quite obvious!

Can you figure out the undertype? Any other Ptolemys out there?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Great writeup and wonderful coins!
    I feel like I'm starring at one of those 3d images waiting for the image to come out and just can't. I'm itching to find out what is was...if it's another elephant hat Alexander I'll feel pretty chumped.
    No silver here. But here's my bronze:
    2316B8E3-19E8-4299-9C01-14821267A3A7.png

Broucheion, Nvb, Marsyas Mike and 9 others like this.
  4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Here's my Rhodian standard tet and overstruck, Ptomely I as satrap of Egypt:

P1210873 best.JPG

TIF has a beautifull one on the heavier attic standard.

Ptolemy I ,once King and Pharao issued coins with an even lighter standard,and with his own image.

Ptolemy II tet Rhodian standard:

P1150562.JPG

Nvb, Broucheion, Marsyas Mike and 9 others like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Very handsome. I have yet to own any Ptolemaic coins.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

The timeline of Ptolemy I's silver coinage weight standards has undergone changes over the last century. Svoronos (1905) thought the heavier Attic standard tetradrachms were made until 305 BCE. Emmons (1954, the paper cited by Nemo) followed the Svoronos dating. Brett and Jenkins had other stratifications and dates. Lorber challenges the previous consensus in A Revised Chronology for the Coinage of Ptolemy I (2012). I have not thoroughly read any of these papers although I've started reading them several times. They are rather difficult to digest in a casual browsing but one of these days when I can really focus I'll try again.

I have the earlier heavier type:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT. Ptolemy I Soter
    AR tetradrachm, 27 mm, 17.0 gm (Attic standard)
    Alexandreia mint, struck 313/12 BCE
    Obv: Head of the deified Alexander III to right, wearing mitra of Dionysos and elephant skin headdress, with aegis around his neck, and with horn of Ammon on his forehead
    Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ; Athena Alkidemos advancing right, hurling spear with her right hand and with shield over her extended left arm; to right, eagle with closed wings standing on thunderbolt to right with ΔΙ below
    Ref: Svoronos 33; Zervos series D, issue XIII; SNG Copenhagen 14; BMC 7

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Insightful write-up with two lovely coins illustrating it. I learned something reading it. Thank you.

Nemo and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Wonderful write-up and coin @Nemo - wasn't aware of this weight fluctuation in the tets of Ptolemy. I still need a Ptolemy I Soter coin.

Nemo likes this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Here is the undertype, and yes, it's another Alexander though I can't make out what type. There is some beading on the obverse and Alexander's portrait on the reverse. Edit: Wow, that bottom picture is huge!
    PtolemyUndertype.jpg
    PtolemyI UndertypeCrop.jpg

Broucheion, Nvb, Marsyas Mike and 5 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Fun posts. Cool mystery @Nemo ... Nice Tet.

I have a P-I, and really enjoy this guy. I feel he was perhaps the smartest of Alex III's generals...

Egypt Ptolemy I Soter Tet Delta bankers marks.jpg
    Egypt Ptolemy I Soter Tet Delta bankers marks

Broucheion, Nvb, Marsyas Mike and 5 others like this.
  11. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Sv176-2ptI.jpg I have one of the DI tetradrachms as well though mine has the additional symbol of a small round shield on the reverse.

12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Interesting detail with the shield, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Beautiful example Tif! Emmons is a much easier read than Lorber. I hope to find the time to take a look at it before too long. Thanks for the reference.

Draft saved Draft deleted