Ptolemy Coin Questions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ikandiggit, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

It's been a while since I've posted any ancients. But, here is my latest. According to the seller's info, it's Ptolemy VI and Ptolemy VIII joint reign 170-164 BC. The two eagles represent joint rule.

29mm 20.77 gr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a very thick, heavy coin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow thats nice. I dont own any that big/thick. Love the eagles on the reverse.

4. ikandiggit

Thanks, Mat. My dealer has a new lot in including several Neros but they were harshly cleaned and have that sheen to them that's really distracting. This one was reasonably priced and so different from the other coins he had. I just had to have it. This one is 5mm thick.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats too bad about the Neros.
    From looking online the info seems to be:
    Ptolemaic Kings of Egypt Ptolemy VI 180-145 BC AE30
    O: Head of Zeus-Ammon right. R: Two eagles standing left on thunderbolt; cornucopia in field to left.

6. ikandiggit

Thanks for the details!

7. rdwarrior

rdwarrior Junior Member

The 2 eagles seem to indicate that it is from a period that had joint rulers . For instance these blurbs borrowed from:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ca...ins.asp?vpar=765&pos=0#Hellenistic Monarchies

Unpublished. Attribution by Matt Kreuzer, author of "The Coinage System of Cleopatra VII and Augustus in Cyprus." The two eagles symbolize two rulers on the throne of Cyprus, in this case Cleopatra VII and one of her two successive brother-husbands, Ptolemy XIII or XIV, less likely her son Ptolemy XV. The round, thin flan and weight standard is correct for the very late Ptolemaic Kingdom. The palm branch appears on obols (c. 6 grams) across the eagles, RPC 3903.

Two eagles on the reverse may be symbolic of the joint rule of Ptolemy VI and his younger brother.

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice grab, I like that portrait alot. I'd love to get one of the Huge Ptolemaic coins someday, for now I settle with my Bronze diobol (20mm), same type as yours.

Attached Files:

9. ikandiggit

Thanks for the info rdwarrior, I compared mine with the ones on Forum and it's nice to know, I actually got a bargain for a change!

I like the details in the portrait on your coin, Randy.

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks, I'd prefer it to be more like the style of yours though.

heres th details on mine if you want.

Ptolemaic Kingdom, Ptolemy VI Philometor and Ptolemy VIII Euergetes, 170 - 163 B.C.

Bronze diobol, Svoronos 1426, SNG Cop 311 - 318, Weiser 143, VF,
    Alexandria mint,
    7.899g, 20.5mm, 0o,
    170 - 163 B.C.;
    obverse diademed and horned head of Zeus-Ammon right;
    reverse PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, two eagles standing left, side-by-side, on thunderbolt, single cornucopia left

"The two eagles may symbolize the joint rule of Ptolemy VI and Ptolemy VIII."

11. ikandiggit

Excellent, Randy!

Draft saved Draft deleted