Ptolemy - But which one?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Topcat7, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I just purchased this (Silver) Ptolemy with a massacred 'reverse'.
    I am hoping that someone might see something on the 'obverse' design that would help me to identify the ruler (at least)?
    On the 'reverse', I can make out 'OY', so I am guessing that there is an eagle in there somewhere?
    I haven't received the coin yet, so I only have the seller's pictures to go by.
    Any assistance is welcome. Thanks.

PTOLEMY (O).jpg PTOLEMY (R).jpg

EDIT: I have been through all 12 of the Ptolemys on 'Wildwinds' but I cannot find what I would call a 'match'.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

download (1).jpg

Topcat7 and TIF like this.
  4. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Cute, Bing, but doesn't help me much.
    (I've been doing that myself for some time.)

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Cute? Ok, but I still don't know the answer to your question. Sorry.

Topcat7 likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with these to make an educated guess from the bust. If it were mine I would probably spend some time on vcoins, wildwinds, etc. looking for something similar. Hopefully someone chimes in with a better answer.

Topcat7 likes this.
  7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I assume its a silver Tetradrachm , weight around 14 gram diameter 25mm ?
    For sure it has an eagle on the reverse,
    and looking at the OY , I think this one comes close, but without the monograms in the field its just an educated guess.
    Ptolemy I Soter tet:
    [​IMG]

icerain, Topcat7 and Bing like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What is the weight of your coin, Topcat? It might help narrow the field a bit because standards changed over the years, dramatically during Ptolemy I's reign and subtly in later eras.

I feel certain that it is not one of the earliest Ptolemaic rulers-- not Ptolemy I, not Ptolemy II-- based on the portrait. Ptolemy I and II's portraits show rounder features with a puffiness at the brow and lateral eye. The later portraits have more compact and angular features, like your coins. Browsing the Ptolemy plates in SNG Copenhangen volume 8 (the only volume I own), I'd put yours at Ptolemy VI or later based on what I can glean from the portrait.

Since these Ptolemaic coins are generally identified by features found on the reverse, you're probably out of luck in terms of getting a definite answer.

Mikey Zee, Topcat7 and Jwt708 like this.
  9. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

The style is consistent with the much later Ptolemies.

They get more abstract and less artistic.

Look at my Ptolemy X here to see what I mean.

[​IMG]

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Error, my reply referred to Andres2's coin not the OP.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I apologize to all for buying this coin.
    Being (relatively) new to collecting 'ancients' I was so surprised to see a silver Ptolemy for sale, (pretty much all of the Ptolemys that I had seen before were bronze), that I grabbed it. My 'enthusiasm' over-ruled my better judgement and I took little notice of the coin's over-all condition. (The price was 'right', too, at US$53.50 landed.)
    Thank you all for your constructive comments.

The seller says that the coin is 27 mm., and 12.64 gm. (Again, my apologies. I should have put those up earlier.) Do they help?
    I am guessing that with the damage to the reverse the weight might be a bit 'light'?

12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Top Cat117.jpg
    JK TC,you will always be my favourite Australian!
    Love yah bud!!!;)

Topcat7 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted