Provincials identified in 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Dec 25, 2017.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Here are some provincial coins in my collection that have been identified this year. Not in the greatest condition and not from common cities is probably why they eluded ID for so long.

Thanks to an obverse die match from a another coin just identified on FAC, I believe this to be from the city of Sinope in Paphlagonia.
    sinope.jpg
    Paphlagonia, Sinope. Geta AE20.
    Obv: IMP CAES P SEP GETA AV / Laureate bust of Geta r.
    Rev: Nemesis standing head l. in distyle temple.
    SLG LINDGREN III 165(1) var.

Thanks to ISEGRIM I finally identified this one. I found no examples only a match on obverse legend for Trapezopolis.
    normal_Clipboard4~6~0.jpg
    Obv: BOYLH TRAP[H]Z.... / Head of Boule r.
    Rev: River-god l. holding cornucopia above in r. hand.
    16mm.

This one came in a unidentified group lot and was covered in dirt. With some light cleaning I was able to improve and ID with no problem.
    mytilene2z.jpg
    Lesbos, Mytilene. AE20, ca AD 250-268 Mytilene, Lesbos. AE20, ca AD 250-268, time of Valerian to Gallienus. 2.4gm. Head of Zeus Ammon right with horn of Ammon / MUTILH-NAIWN, bearded herm of Dionysos facing, on prow, bunch of grapes at lower left. BMC 184

These next three are from Achaea and were sold as unknown or mis-identified.

k2.jpg LAKONIA. Lakedaimon (Sparta). Ae As Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right.
    Rev: Λ - A / EΠI - EY / PY - KΛE / O - Σ.
    Club within wreath.
    (Circa 31-2 BC). C. Julius Eurycles, magistrate.
    RPC I 1103; SNG Copenhagen 603.

normal_Caphyae.jpg Achaea. Arcadia, Caphyae. Septimius Severus Æ22 Obv: Laureate head right.
    Rev: KAΦYI ATΩN / Artemis, with veil billowing, running left, head right, holding torch and bow.
    22mm., 5.2gm.
    BCD Peloponnesos 1385.

Patras.jpg Achaea. Achaea, Patras(Patrae). Sabina Æ20 Obv: SABINA AVG / Draped bust of Sabina, r., hair coiled and piled on top of head above triple stephane.
    Rev: COL A A PATREN / Man naked running l. to altar, looking back, holding box in his l. hand.
    BCD Peloponnesos 552.5

Please share any coins you have identified or had identified and recently brought to light.

Macromius, Theodosius, Ryro and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Some very nice and interesting coins ancientone, have not seen most of these types. Especially like the Geta and Septimius.

ancientone likes this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Interesting stuff! I now know who to turn to if I ever get stuck with a provincial :).

This one isn’t from a rare city but definitely “not in the greatest condition”. It took me four years to figure it out.
    [​IMG]DOMITIAN
    AE24. 10.02g, 24mm. JUDAEA, Ascalon, dated CY 189 (AD 85/6). RPC II 2211; Rosenberger 115. O: Laureate head left. R: Tyche-Astarte standing left on galley, holding scepter and aplustre; altar to left; to right, dove standing left above ΘΠP (date).

I had fun hunting this one down too. It was thrown in as a freebie by a seller I bought a group of coins from, presumably because it was in awful condition and he couldn’t figure out what it was either.
    [​IMG]COMMODUS
    Very Rare (only one specimen cited by Karbach). AE19. 4.77g, 19.3mm. CILICIA, Augusta, 183/184 AD (Year 164). Karbach, Augusta p.54, 81 (same obv die); RPC Online Temp 6170 (Marcus Aurelius). O: Laureate head of Commodus right, AV KOMODO [...]. R: AVGOVSTN(sic) ETOY EPD, horse standing right, head turned left; tree to left.

5. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Cool coins Z! There's something fun about ID'ing a coin that was unknown for maybe 1500 years or more.

zumbly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted