Provincial Vase of Flowers--Maybe???

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Steven Michael Gardner, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Steven Michael Gardner

Steven Michael Gardner Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can find a Reference for this coin of which I know
    very little, believe it is Roman Provincial, however I am unable to make out
    from where or who the Bust may represent...?
    I like this coin, it's a cute little one, I just wish I could find some details
    about it??? Any help appreciated...!
    2169-Vase.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Nice coin! the reverse really looks like a vase of flowers.
    Initially I thought those are snakes as snakes are much more frequent than flowers on ancient coins but in fact that is a basket with poppies and ears of corn.
    https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/3/1883

Marsyas Mike, Andres2, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  4. Steven Michael Gardner

Thank you Dacian,
    That was quick & seemed quite easy for you to come up with... I have bookmarked the coin search site that you used as it is one I have not used yet, the thing is, just what did you type in the search line in order to locate not just one but several versions of this mystery coin..?

ambr0zie likes this.
  5. ambr0zie

It wasn't easy at all :) It's just that I like to identify coins and I don't give up easily. After messing on coinarchives and acsearch without any kind of success, as I didn't know what to search for, except for Trajan's portrait and knowing the coin is provincial. I just searched in RPC online for all the provincial coins from Trajan starting with AYT (visible on the coin). This brought about 2000 results so not an option. Just narrowed down the search using the metal and the design element
    upload_2021-7-22_15-22-12.png

... but only after multiple fails as "basket" was NOT the first option I thought about, first options were "snakes" "serpents" "bowl "urn" that brought nothing.

Marsyas Mike and Roman Collector like this.
  6. Steven Michael Gardner

Well I guess I can get some satisfaction knowing even an expert search aficionado had a bit of a rough go on this one too... I am grateful for your efforts though, I too tried the first sites you did among others with no luck, however I realize that your determination out does mine, thanks for
    the outline of your search, that helps me...!

Roman Collector and ambr0zie like this.
  7. ambr0zie

You're welcome. I am not an expert, I am still a beginner. It's just that if I see a coin that LOOKS familiar (usually Roman Imperial or Provincial) I just can't stop until I attribute it. There are areas in ancient numismatics I have no idea about. And I too requested help here with some coins that I couldn't attribute after spending hours and hours.

8. Steven Michael Gardner

Yes, few things as frustrating as wasting hours searching for an acceptable Reference,
    when one has imagined that he has conquered all of the these tribulations in the past, but there
    is always another coin that will come up to baffle one....
    Frankly you knew Trajan, which was a great help, I did not recognize him in the least to begin with..??
    Thanks again!

ambr0zie likes this.
  9. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Trajan's successor also had a vase with flowers

Hadrianus ANNONA bv.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted