Provincial Alliance coinage

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancientone, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Mostly in the second and third centuries AD, the Roman regions of Thrace and Asia minor minted alliance or homonoia coinage. These coins celebrated the union by placing the deity most associated with their cities on the reverse. Other types looked similar to provincial pseudo-autonomous coins. These are repeats from me but feel free to post any you have in your collection.

normal_Clipboarde2.jpg
    Ionia, Smyrna. Marcus Aurelius AE32. Alliance with Laodicea in Phrygia.
    Obv: AY K M AY ANTWNINOC, Bust of Marcus Aurelius r., laur., wearing cuirass and paludementum.
    Rev: ATTALOCCOFICTHCTAICPATPICI CMVP LAOD, Zeus Laodikeus holding eagle and scepter, Nemeses before him standing face to face.
    32mm., 20g.
    BMC 514

normal_PergamonEphesosCommodus.jpg
    Mysia, Pergamon. Alliance with Ephesos. AE34 of Commodus
    Obv: laureate-headed bust of Commodus (short beard) wearing cuirass and paludamentum, r.
    Rev: to l., Asclepius standing, facing, (head, r.), holding serpent-staff; to r., cult statue of Artemis of Ephesus standing, facing, wearing kalathos, having supports.
    34mm and 20.8g.
    Howgego 70, Caracalla laureate, and reported on 114 coins from Pergamum.
    Howgego 811 meaning revalued to 6 assarii, and reported on
    32 coins from Ephesus.

Hierapolis.jpg
    Phrygia, Hierapolis in alliance with Ephesus. AE22 Pseudo-autonomous. Boule/Men.
    Obv: IEPAPOLEITWN K EFECIWN, Veiled bust of Boule r.
    Rev: NEWKOPWN OMON(OIA), Men in Phrygian cap standing r., head l., r. foot on bull's skull, holding pine cone and scepter.
    BMC 187, pl. 52.5 and SNG Copenhagen 470, but seems to be from new dies on both sides.
    Commemorating the harmony with Ephesus in Ionia, assigned to the time of Valerian/Gallienus.

Volodya, Cyrrhus, stevex6 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very interesting! I don't think I have any such Roman provincial alliance depictions.

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very Cool!!!

But like TIF, I seem to be lacking that 'provincial alliance'......losing a few of the type I did bid on this year.

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! I really like that first one and have always wanted an example of the type. No luck so far.

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Very nice coins. I love provincial coins, more variety in some ways than imperials.

I never knew there was an "alliance" between these cities. They were all part of the empire weren't they?

I always greet my friends with "ATTALOCCOFICTHCTAICPATPICI CMVP LAOD" when I have not seen them for a while. :) :) :)

John

ancientone and chrsmat71 like this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

very nice coins, all 3 are sweet.

big zeus with eagle = WIN

bigger artemis with cool countermarks and cult statue of artemis = WIN.

cult statue of artemis is HIGH on my list...

[​IMG]

that crazy polyboob thing is awesome! on the coins she is always holding some staves or something like that in her hands or a drapery of some type?

a boule coin is also on my list!

8. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for your positive comments!

Yes, Roman cities in the regions of Thrace and Asia Minor. Ephesos, Pergamon and Smyrna are some of the more prevalent cities. RPC Online says "In total 87 cities issued ‘alliance’ coins, nearly 2,400 specimens of which are known today." I guess they are a little scarcer than I was thinking.

ATTALOCCOFICTHCTAICPATPICI CMVP LAOD!

The cult statue of Artemis is one of my fav's in provincials.

Miletus2.jpg
    Ionia, Miletos. Gallienus AE21. Diogenous Dionysiou
    Obv: AVT K ΠO ΛIK ΓAΛΛIHN, Laureate draped cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: EΠI AP ΔIOΓE MIΛHCIΩN. Cult statue of Artemis facing, holding patera in right hand and bow with left.
    Magistrate: Diogenous Dionysiou.
    BMC 167.

b.jpg
    Phrygia, Tiberiopolis. AE18, Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia.
    Obv: IERA SYNKLHTOS / Bust of Senate r.
    Rev: Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia; stags at sides.
    BMC 17 S421

faustinaAnkyra.jpg
    Phrygia, Ankyra. Faustina Jr. Artemis Ephesia
    Phrygia, Ankyra. Faustina Jr. Æ 20mm (4.26 gm).
    Obv: ΘAVCTINA CE BACTH, Draped bust right
    Rev: ANCYPH NWN, Cult statue of Artemis Ephesia.
    SNG von Aulock -; SNG Copenhagen 142var.; BMC -

getamylasa2.jpg
    Caria, Mylasa. Geta AE38 Medallion. Zeus Labraundus
    CARIA, Mylasa. GETA. As Caesar, 198-209 AD. AE Medallion (22.95 gm; 38 mm). Bare-headed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Tetrastyle temple of Zeus Labraundus, cult statue of Artemis within, holding labrys and spear; tresses hanging from each hand. Round shield with two supporters in pediment.
    Akarca 90; BMC 38; Price & Trell 442.

Draft saved Draft deleted