Protecting Your Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Orps, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Orps

Orps Member

How does everyone protect their coins? Especailly their good coins. Besides store-bought containers. :)
    Right now my coins are generally unprotected, plus I don't have many worth protecting anyway, but I do have canadian paper money wrapped in plastic wrap and stored away, along with '05 pennies wrapped.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I'm glad you started this thread as I also had a question about how I store some of my coins....
    Some of my coins I store in a room that stays cool all year long....at this time it the year it is cooler than most of the time...would this hurt any of the coins??
    I have noted that coins in PVC flips that stay cool don't seem to start putting their PVC on coins as fast as PVC flips in a warm place.

Note---this room doesn't get hot in the summer....so I guess the TEMP would be around the same all year long...

Speedy

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Mossberg 835 and the will to use it. Plus my Rott/Husky/Wolf mixed breed. My coins can do whatever they want. :)

Oh, storage?

I put 'em into fresh flips (I mostly collect raw), and vacuum-pack them with the foodsucker (or that's what I call it). The end result is a pack so tight I can take clear pictures through it. Then they go into the safe that's u-bolted around the floor joists in my closet.

5. jandj

jandj New Member

Good one SuperDave!! I got a Belly laugh out of that one:D

Maybe you can appreciate this
    From the Thread---is money in hand doomed

6. bruce68901

bruce68901 New Member

coin storage

I buy those plastic tubes and put loose coins in. For the future my west series nickels I put the uncir. nickels in a roll and put all in plastic tube and tape arround the lid. That should be a easy way to keep good.They are under 50 cents here.There are white containers too. My blue folders in put them in a gallon zip lock bag .

Bruce

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Super Dave
    What is better than that is the sound of a 12gauge 3inch Mag shell being loaded in to a pump action shotgun :D

Speedy

8. Orps

Orps Member

I've tried coin folders, especially for the state quarters, which everyone has, and I've actually damaged my coins trying to get them in, so I'm trying to avoid them. I've got some of those plastic tubes that I got at walmart in a special bag of coin collecting goodies for 10 dollars. :) (It had a red book, some coin folders, a few coin cases and plastic tubes. The redbook alone was 12 ;) )
    I have my collection of nickles in sandwich bags, and my xtra state quarters in a metal tin. I don't have any coins worth enough to put in a safe, the most expensive thing I have is a 5000 dinar from Iran, which I just discovered from asking on this forum. :D

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I now put anything of significant value into airtites and into a safe. But I also have coins that have just sat in 2X2's for decades that look the same as the day I put them there. Most of these were circulated coins and/or already toned so I wasn't trying to prevent that from happening.

10. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Coin Tubes,Portfolios & Cardboard Holders.;) B12

11. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

I have been using the Dansco albums for most my coins. I also have a few slabbed and 2 of my cc Morgan $'s in the original GSA container. I bought a few tube to put loose coins in.

12. Midas

Midas Coin Hoarder

Room temperature, high and dry is a MUST! Use Silica Gel packets or something to keep the humidity levels down!

Intercept Shields work great to protect your coins and keep them as they are.

Searches in this forum on the word "storage" will answer 99% of your questions.

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The sound when you pull the trigger. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted