Props to Stacks/Bowers app

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by messydesk, Feb 28, 2020.

1. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

So at lunchtime yesterday I headed to Costco to gas up the car and buy some stuff. I'm walking toward the store and feel my phone buzz, thinking it's my wife texting me a shopping list. I grab a cart, head into the store and check my phone for the list, only to find the buzz was the SB app notifying me of a lot coming up. Tapped the notification, went right to the live auction and the next lot was the one I wanted. I waited for the lot to go live, swiped right to bid, won the lot, and continued with my shopping. Yeah, I could have been driving at the time or missed it by one lot, but not this time. The app did exactly what it was supposed to do. I love it when things work as intended.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Cool. I did quite a bit of bidding via the Great Collections website (not an app), but on my Mobile phone on a Ski Mountain in Maine a few years back. Very handy when you are looking at coins on the go!

Brent Miller and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I don't have a mobile device.
    Everything is done through my desktop at home.
    I just got a Watch List notification from Heritage.
    I bid (80% of catalog) and currently have the high bid but it's still a few days before the lot closes.
    I'm running about a 50-50 win/loss using this procedure.
    Keeps me happy.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK Boomer... :):):)

6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That's actually pretty cool, messy. I don't spend a lot of time on Stacks, but I'll have to check out their app.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Let us in on your little secret... what did you buy? :)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  9. messydesk

An 1804 gold piece.

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

They need an App with notifications. Hitting the website on a smartphone is a PITA.

baseball21 likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

I haven't utilized Stacks-Bowers, may give it a shot. I understand they do many fewer auctions than Heritage; I asked the SB people about that at FUN.

The HA App does give you notifications before auctions you express an interest come up; not sure if you get a Text Message a few minutes before your item hits. That is very helpful -- if an auction goes off at 8 PM, the reminder is OK but if your item is going off closer to 10 PM then a Text Message about 9:50 or so would be really great. At least for HA, it appears to take about 15-20 seconds per auction so if they notify you with about 30-40 auctions (7-10 minutes) before yours that it's getting close that would be great.

12. messydesk

You do get a text message from HA, but I don't remember if it's as seamlessly linked to the app. Maybe it is. I'm usually at a desktop PC when I'm bidding. I was just amazed at how smoothly the SB app worked at Costco, and I have a 5 year old phone that's never in a hurry to do anything. Thankfully, the phone was responsive when I needed it to be. It was as if it were scripted for a commercial.

13. messydesk

So here's the 1804 gold piece I got -- a Mexican escudo for my "World Coins Circulating in Early America" type set. Much cheaper than the US equivalent, an 1804 $2.50. 1804esc.jpg

baseball21, imrich and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

Messy, you got that from a SB auction ?

15. messydesk

Yes. There was a world coin auction last week.

16. Brent Miller

Brent Miller Member

Sweet! I wasn’t aware they have an app. I’m going to do download it now. Thanks

17. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I'll be bidding on an item in Stack's/Bowers auction that's linked to the Baltimore Whitman show later this month.
    It's a coin that's in a Details holder that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.
    If I win you'll definitely hear about from me here on CoinTalk :D

18. physics-fan3.14

That is an awesome coin, congrats!

messydesk likes this.
  19. messydesk

Would you believe it's graded XF45?

20. physics-fan3.14

I'm not familiar with these at all, so I'm not terribly sure where it should be. I'd guess there's a bit of strike weakness, but I do see a decent amount of wear. Based on the luster present, I would have guessed AU-50. 45 seems a bit low, but any higher than 53 and I would have had a problem with it.

21. messydesk

I'm also in the AU50 camp. The reverse doesn't show the wear the same because of the nature of the design, but there is a lot of luster remaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted