Proofs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ronald J Sweeney, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Ronald J Sweeney

Ronald J Sweeney New Member

Anyone out there a proof collector? I'm just starting out and I love the look of them. Curious has anyone got the reverse proofs? They are expensive for me as I'm just starting. But Are they now orth the investment? Or strictly for Beauty Sake

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Depends what proofs we are talking about, classic proofs from the 1800s or modern mint proofs?

4. Ronald J Sweeney

Well as I didnt even know of proofs from the 1800s I was talking modern.

5. CoinBlazer

Well regarding your investment question. I believe that pure investment grade bullion should be a government issued coin such as a Maple Leaf or Silver Eagle. I don't believe in using proofs and reverse proof coins as investment. Purchasing them only for collection not portfolio. As an older gentlemen once told me- "The more complex an investment is, the riskier it is"

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Are we talking Gold Proofs ... or cent proofs or anywhere in between ??

7. Ronald J Sweeney

Silver proof sets

8. Clawcoins

9. Clawcoins

I collect a lot of the silver proof sets which contain all the coins, and also the quarter sets only, also ASE Proofs. Also the limited edition silver sets.

such as:
    upload_2018-10-5_9-9-29.png

and commems
    upload_2018-10-5_9-11-13.png

green18 and mikenoodle like this.
  10. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

As for the new 50th Aniv. SF Mint Rev. proof set which I think you're asking about, the mintage is 200,000 which is a lot when you consider they're all new, bright and beautiful coins. As an investment, new mint issues tend to drop a little in value, then level off in value. Most of us collectors like to have them just to keep up with the times, but who knows what will happen to prices? You might get lucky and have a bunch of grade 70 coins, or in some cases some very low grade ones, but if you like them , then buy one and enjoy it!

mikenoodle likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I have several reverse proofs (I particularly like the ASE's), but I got them mainly for the artistic value - they are beautiful! I kind of treat them like a "type" set, in that more than one of a type is not necessary. But that's just me...:happy::cigar::cool:

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Proof sets are plentiful enough that they're not really a viable investment. Buy them because you enjoy them, and pick nice ones that don't have spotty coins .

I've mentioned before that the best way I think to buy proof sets is to go to a big show on a Saturday and buy a bunch from a dealer who has to choose between letting you have them at bid (or less) and packing them up and taking them to the next show.

13. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

World mints have been doing reverse pproof for years. I actually really like these coins myself because of their look.

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I love Dolly...She really tastes good!

15. CoinBlazer

So short explanation is that in the 1800s and early 20th century, you can buy individual proof coins at a premium. There were no packaged sets.

16. Ronald J Sweeney

I love the look of proofs and as I'm new to this I'm enjoying them. And thanks for all the links

17. Clawcoins

I would have posted reverse proofs but I didn't have pics of all my silver proof coins. Something I have to work on. LOL

18. Noble One

Noble One New Member

I have a lot of proof sets simply because I like them. For investment I go bullion. Some have some really nice artwork too. All depends what you like.

19. STU

STU Active Member

I have every proof set lost on some gained on others I collect for fun not investment been that way 60 years since I started I got what I could afford and no more than that

20. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Look in any Red Book: Compare the issue price of modern proof sets with "current value".

You'll find it's generally a poor investment.

Regardless, lots of folks collect modern Proofs because it's a hobby they enjoy.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Here's couple still lingering on my desktop......

DSC_6282.JPG DSC_6283.JPG

Ya either love these things, or hate them........I love 'em.

PlanoSteve and Clawcoins like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted