Prooflike Silver Eagle?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Dec 31, 2014.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Just wondering if this 1989 ASE appears to be a prooflike silver eagle? I know NGC has graded some 1986 ASEs as PL, but I haven't heard anything about any other dates.

IMG_4530.JPG IMG_4532.JPG IMG_4535.JPG IMG_4536.JPG IMG_4549.JPG IMG_4550.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

4. ddddd

ddddd Member

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, no 'W' so it is a regular bullion piece. I think it's safe to say that that coin does appear to be 'proof like'.........

6. green18

Actually, in '86 it would have been an 'S'.......

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

8. green18

Could be worth a shot......if you play 'the game'. :)

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not sure about making PL, but it definitely won't grade better than 66 or 67.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. green18

Based on the pics, no doubt Chris........

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

12. ddddd

ddddd Member

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It sold for $2,600.

14. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Impressive.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I really want one of these, but the prices on them are absolutely ludicrous.

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

What would you consider a fair price for one of these? And what if it isn't certified?

17. ddddd

ddddd Member

Here are a few more photos that show the coin rather than the prooflike features. Just wondering if you would still say no better than 66 or 67?

Attached Files:

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Still the same.....66/67

Chris

19. physics-fan3.14

If it isn't certified, the price is going to suffer, obviously. I agree that the coin you show looks to probably be a 67.

I would think that somewhere in the $250-$300 should be where these trade. A 67PL should go for $225-$250. Assuming the eagle currently sells for about $20-$25, this is a 10x premium for the PL. There are 70 of these graded (all from 1986), so that seems like it should be reasonable. I have a number of prooflike coins where they are the only ones for the series, or one of just a couple, and I haven't ever paid that high a premium. I know silver eagles are popular, but I wouldn't think there would be a very high demand for a PL example. Based on the number graded, I'm also surprised that these don't trade more often - I've only seen a couple of sales. This leads me to believe that someone out there has a hoard of them.

The price realized for the auction above is just absolutely insane. Put it in a real auction (not a buy it now) and see where it goes (just let me know when you do, because I would bid strongly on it).

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

Update: I sent this coin to Anacs as part of the recent promotion. They did not give it a prooflike designation. The front certainly looks pl, but the reverse may not be as strong. I have seen coins like Franklins get pl designations from Anacs. Do they not do pl designations (or OBV PL) for Eagles? Anyone know @physics-fan3.14

IMG_6794.JPG IMG_6796.JPG

21. physics-fan3.14

Old ANACS used to designate PL on any coin that met their standards. Unfortunately, their standards weren't quite up to snuff. I've bought several coins designated PL in the old small white holders that were semi-prooflike at best, and which didn't meet the full PL criteria (some failed my criteria, and a couple that I thought had a shot failed NGCs criteria). On the other hand, I've bought a couple of outstanding no-question PLs in small white holders as well.

They also used to designate one-sided PL's (as you allude to). NGC's equivalent is to award the coin a Star.

However, Old ANACS and the ANACS of today are not the same company. Sixteen different owners later, who knows what they do now? I don't pay attention to new ANACS. Essentially, I treat them as raw. They may or may not designate PL, but I have no idea.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted