Prooflike 1988p

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by juslystn, Mar 27, 2020.

1. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

Look at this 1988 I found today...….wow. Ive seen a lot of 88s in my day,but never one that looks even close to as good as this one. It looks prooflike...beautiful fields...no zinc rot or plating blisters...you don't see them like this very often. If that nick below liberty weren't there I would not think twice about having this graded.:bookworm: Just thought I would share,cheers
    88 (2).jpg 88.jpg

Spark1951, NOS and spirityoda like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If you found it in circulation and it is a Proof Coin then that is considered an Impaired Proof coin.
    Probably not worth getting it graded because of fine scratches and nicks. Your pictures are too dark to determine that.

4. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

I wouldn't grade it,i was just super surprised to find an 88 in this condition in circulation.

The pics look fine on my screen,sorry if they appear dark,ill mess with my iso settings a bit

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Heritage Auction shows an MS67 selling for $86.25 (slabbed, PCGS). I see an 88 D in MS67 selling for $32.50 on the bay. But an MS66 1988 is selling for $12.50. With the nicks on the nose, a few smaller ones in the fields, and the one below LIBERTY, I'm not sure you could get that high. But maybe better lighting and photos would reveal otherwise. Still...a heck of a circulation find!!!

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Proof would have been made in San Fran and have an S mintmark. This is a Philly coin.

He's saying it's proof-like - not proof.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Duh.. I forgot that! Thanks for the correction

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While it is a fine coin to find in circulation, the number of imperfections,
    scratch/gouge under the E in Liberty, two nicks on his nose, one to the right of his ear (temple), scratch on the neck, bag mark in the field off his mouth,
    a lot of chatter on all the columns, some on the steps and the lower center field on the reverse, it probably is not worth getting graded.
    I agree it is a very nice zinc coin, and will need to be protected to slow down or stop the zinc from rotting away, but I wonder what the grade would be? MS-66? Not PL IMO. A keeper for sure. Also, some different photos with different angles might expose some other issues, rather than a photo that can hide issues. I am not saying you are using a deceptive photo, that's just what happens with light, etc.

9. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

Here is a MS68 from pcgs
    888.jpg

Kevin Mader likes this.
  10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking cent for an early zinc. I am interested in some other photos just to see how much circulation it has received.

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Then it's a 1988 no mintmark proof.

12. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

is this in plastic?
    always best to take pictures not in plastic. If you got it in circulation then it probably was not in plastic.

14. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

Given the number of dings, marks, etc. on he reverse, especially on the rim and columns, and given that other than shadows the light reflecting off of them is constant (i.e. no variation) I think it looks recently re-plated. Just a thought.

gronnh20 and Kevin Mader like this.
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

A keeper for sure, but grading it would cost more than you could get for it, IMO.

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A great looking proof like Cent. It may have come out of a Mint set.

17. Kevin Mader

18. Kevin Mader

I was thinking the same thing. The rims don't seem to match the rest of the cent. What does it weigh...I wonder? Perhaps toward the higher spec?

19. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

2.57g

20. Kevin Mader

It is on the plus side, but within tolerances. Is that an encased coin?

21. juslystn

juslystn Lets argue

I put it in an airtight after I found it

Draft saved Draft deleted