Proof vs. Reverse Proof vs Enhanced Uncirculated

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Dec 23, 2015.

?

Which strike type do you like better?

1. Business Strike

31.0%
  2. Proof

17.2%
  3. Reverse Proof

24.1%
  4. Enhanced Uncirculated

24.1%
  5. No Preference

3.4%
  1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Which finish do you like better on any given coin?

I can see arguments for both. If the fields have a mirror finish then the devices have a frosty finish which can make the details easier to see.

In contrast, the reverse proof coins and their mirror finish devices seems to amplify the relief. I think that most or all of the reverse proof coins were made with a higher relief, too.

The enhanced uncirculated coin is probably the hardest to execute. I believe it's the same as a business strike but with mirror finishes in select areas of the design. The ASE example below uses a mirror finish to accentuate perspective for the devices closer to the viewer (thus the sun does not have a mirror finish).

Business Strike :

[​IMG]

Proof :
    [​IMG]

Enhanced Uncirculated :

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You forgot to mention the Burnished finish which the Mint began producing in 2006 with the West Point mintmark. This was the first year that collectors could buy a non-proof SAE directly from the Mint.

Chris

PS. I gather that this thread pertains only to SAE's even though it isn't specified in the title.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The last 2 are ...........

well, ugly

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Ugly, that's the word.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nope. Not ugly and I love every one of them. :)

Are those your pics iPen? Nice shots.

charlietig likes this.
  7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I voted for the reverse proof. This piece in a black NGC holder rocks!

I know, many of you wouldn't get these graded, and you know what, I don't care. I have many ASE's in OGP, but I also have many graded. My collection, my preference.

USS656 and green18 like this.
  8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I wish! I should have noted that those are internet pics.

Since I don't want anymore business strike ones, I'm trying to decide between the proof or the reverse proof.

Maybe I should go for the reverse proof just because that'll be the only reverse proof in my collection. I'm not sure I've heard any compelling reasons to go one way or another, as I agree with jpcienkus that ultimately it boils down to preference.

It is surprising to me, though, how evenly matched the voting results are. I would have thought that the proofs would outvote the business strikes by a large margin, but I guess not (or there aren't enough voters as of yet). Maybe some people have an affinity for business strikes because they're simpler or that's the strike type that typically gets used in circulation.

And, here's the burnished strike type, as noted by cpm9ball (pic from the 'net).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    green18 likes this.
  9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

IMHO, as far as the Silver American Eagles are concerned, the Enhanced Uncirculated might be my favorite US coin of all time.

That said, I think that the other 3 Enhanced Uncirculated (2014 Kennedy, and the two Native American Dollars) were barely noticeable in their EU finishes. The process gives the Mint (and the designer) a golden opportunity to enhance a design and bring out features (such as the flag on the EU ASE) and this excites me for the future.

BTW- GREAT pictures, iPen!

phankins11 likes this.
  10. green18

I think one of the reasons folks might enjoy the business strikes more is because they can grade so high (if one were to do that) compared to other mint issues. The whole series of coins (ASE's) are among the most pristine and beautiful coins currently issued by the mint. And they're honkin' huge too........:)

JPeace$ likes this.
  11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

If the reverse proof had the US flag like the enhanced uncirculated, that would tip the balance in favor of the reverse proof for me. IMHO, minus the flag, either all of the devices or all of the fields should shine bright like a diamond, err mirror. Then, any non-collector and non-US folks would immediately be drawn to the flag and know that it's a US coin without even having the reverse stating the country name. So, The same would ring true for me if the proof version had the EU style flag.

12. green18

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I agree, they should be hit with rocks, or at least buried under rocks.

14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I like the ASE in the NGC retro holders also 2013W EU rp SAE-horz-vert.jpg

charlietig and green18 like this.
  15. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Don't the earlier eagles have a different finish / appearance to them?

For example, ASE's from the 80's. I'm thinking of getting one of the non-proof versions if they're different. They appear proof-like without the matte finish as the current business strikes, without the deep cameo appearance of the 80's S Proofs.

If so, then that would make it 6 different finishes of the ASE's.

16. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The black (reverse / negative) slab suits the reverse theme of the coin well.

IMHO, it would be a step up in presentation if the entire plastic slab itself is made as a very opaque black color, like heavily tinted car windows, instead of having the black plastic inside. And, the tint would either gradually or abruptly transition to clear as it reaches the ID label.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Out of the ase finishes I must say that the candy cane look of liberty's dress on the enhanced finish is very appealing. I like it! The rest are hum drum but the EF is unique

charlietig likes this.
  18. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I agree. I do wish though that the stripes on her gown as well as the flag were not black or so dark and more of the colors of the flag... my favorite is the Reverse Proof (RP)

Draft saved Draft deleted