Proof Silver Quarter Coin weight. Variation??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RICHARD L LIGHT, Aug 29, 2019.

1. RICHARD L LIGHT

RICHARD L LIGHT New Member

Hi All-. I just picked up 4 silver Proof quarters from 1961 1962 1963 and 1964. They are super shiny and look GEM. So my question is CAN THE WEIGHT OF EACH COIN VARY?

WHEN I WEIGH ALL 4 THEY WEIGHT ALMOST EXACTLY 25 Grams +/-.02 g. But separately they weigh between 6.33 and 6.2 grams

Given that they have no wear to speak of I assume it can not be wear weight loss.

Thoughts?
    I paid up for them so I wanna return the if they are not right but I also maybe over cautious

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

There should ne a nominal variance

RICHARD L LIGHT likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since they are different years, I guess it is possible that the thickness of the blanks for each year may vary a bit.

Chris

5. RICHARD L LIGHT

The variance is less than 2%. Does that seem reasonable?

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Silver quarters were supposed to weigh 6.25g, with a tolerance of 0.195g plus or minus.

All your coins are well within tolerance.

I hope you didn't "pay up" too heavily; proofs from these years don't go for a high premium unless they're slabbed at a high grade and/or have cameo. I've gotten quite a few proofs (as part of proof sets) at or near melt.

Michael K likes this.
  7. RICHARD L LIGHT

Good info! I did pay up a bit more than melt but that's my learning curve not the sellers problem. Lol.

They are super shiny and almost mirror finished but not cameo. Plus I like that they are consecutive but I will keep my eye out for better prices in the future for sure!!

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All coins have a tolerance level. Your quarters are well within tolerance. Sounds like you got a good deal. Can you post pictures of the coins? We do so love photos. Welcome to CT.

9. RICHARD L LIGHT

IMG_20190829_154227557.jpg IMG_20190829_154159389.jpg IMG_20190829_154156217.jpg IMG_20190829_154204113.jpg IMG_20190829_154201604.jpg IMG_20190829_154208055.jpg

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, those look like proofs. :)

11. Collecting Nut

They are proofs but it's best not to call them gems. Proof is a type of manufacture not a condition of the coin.

12. RICHARD L LIGHT

I think they are really really nice and I feel like the are in a gem state. Maybe the pics don't do them justice but I have never seen a fresher coin.

13. Collecting Nut

Let me try again. Proof coins are graded on the same scale as business strikes and other coin issues. A proof coin is a method of minting the coin, nothing else. If it grades 67 the grade will be 67 PF for proof. Other coins grading the same would be MS-67 or Mint State. That is a gem coin.

This is one of mine. It graded MS66 RD. Being a Cent it's RD for Red. This coin is a Mint State 67 out of 70 and it's red in color. Not brown or red brown.
    IMG_3148.JPG
    This coin is a Very Fine 35 out of 70, not Mint state. IMG_2811.JPG
    These are not mine but photos are from the Internet. This is a proof but it's not Mint state.
    IMG_3501.JPG
    These are silver Eagles but it shows the difference and the point I'm trying to make. A proof coin can not be a Mint state coin. Again, a proof coin is just a method of manufacturing.
    IMG_3502.JPG
    Hope this helps.

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I thought gem referred to 65 so you can have a gem MS or gem Proof? I am probably wrong but now I am curious...

15. RICHARD L LIGHT

From what I read but I am new too,. GEM is more of a colloquialism used by dealers and collector's and is not recognized by any grading companies as a coin state

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I think they are worth a little over melt. You did fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted