Proof Silver Planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JCro57, Feb 20, 2019.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Just got this in the mail today. It is a proof silver $1 planchet for which to strike commemoratives.

Not too many of these, and since few proofs are made compared to circulated business strikes, proof errors are significantly more rare. And proof silver errors are even rarer.

However, few people collect errors. Even fewer collect unstruck examples. Thus, despite being super rare, prices aren't unreachable.

I have seen a few of these on auction sites for $260-$400. However, I managed to snag this for $115. Much better shape and fewer hits than all others, as well as a higher grade (but exactly how you can grade an unstruck planchet is still a mystery to me).

~Joe

0220191529_HDR.jpg 0220191530_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

that's a great example that shows what the upsetting mill does.
    pretty kewl.

Scubalou likes this.
  4. JCro57

Also the pebbled surface of a proof planchet

happy_collector likes this.
  5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

MS64 on a good day. Love it

6. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Very nice acquisition! I think grading for planchets is highly subjective.

7. EdThelorax

EdThelorax Well-Known Member

That's cool! How would something like that get out of the mint? Aren't commemorates individually packaged?

8. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I believe this is the same type of planchet, although not attributed by ANACS as intended for striking a proof coin.

DSC_0231.JPG DSC_0232.JPG DSC_0233.JPG

ken454 and Nathan401 like this.
  9. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Maybe even downright silly, imo. What are we judging it by? It’s circular-ness?

Legomaster1 likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

In fairness to the grading services I'd definitely prefer the OP's example to my own and, if there were no photos to go by, there's at least a numerical comparison that may be used to establish a preference, if not a value.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. JCro57

This one defnitely appears proof-like.
    The only thing strange is the weight variance. Normally silver coins like these - especially modern commemoratives - are pretty uniform and precise unlike circulated coinage. The fact the mine is 27.5 and yours is 26.73 is strange.

12. ToughCOINS

Interesting to be sure. According to my references 26.73 grams is the mint-specified weight of the planchets used for modern $1.00 silver commemorative coins. The 27.5 may be a typo, or what PCGS actually weighed. If it is the actual weight, it seems to be 2.9% over.

Draft saved Draft deleted