Proof silver 2008 Bald Eagle HALF?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by gboulton, Oct 18, 2011.

1. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

I've recently seen a couple auction listings for a SILVER proof2008 Bald Eagle commem HALF dollar...but I don't recall there being such a coin, and can't find anything definitive on one existing.

I know the $1 bald eagle commem was issued in silver, but memory says the Proof Half was clad only.

Mint's website on the issue specifically says Bald Eagle Silver Dollar but then only "Bald Eagle Half-dollar", no mention of silver.

Can anyone clear this up for me with definite proof? Was there, or was there not, a silver issue of the 2008S Proof Commemorative Bald Eagle Half Dollar?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

4. gboulton

Thanks, McBlzr...

At that site, at least, no indication of a silver half issued.

5. gboulton

FWIW, this site also seems to suggest there's no silver issue:

Note both link to the Mint's original product page, but there's no link offered for a silver half.

The page goes on to specifically reference and discuss the silver $1 ABE coin.
    Unless someone can come up with something fairly specific, I'm inclined to say that there was not, indeed, such a coin minted.

6. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

I've only seen a few the last couples and they're trading for a premium. Just like the Canadian wildlife half ounce silver rounds.

7. gboulton

Guess I should have looked harder before starting a thread. *heh*

Public Law 108-486, authorizing the minting of the ABE commems:

Section 5112(b) of title 31 says, in part:
    Guess that's about as definitive as it gets.

8. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

As far as I know the only two silver commemoratives half dollars ever made were the 1982 Washington and the 1998-S Kennedy.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The '98 Kennedy was a dollar coin. The '93 Bill of Right half dollar was silver. The '82 Washington and the '93 Bill of Rights are the only two commemorative half's to be minted in 90% silver.

10. gboulton

My 1998S Matte proof silver Kennedy Half would like a word with you, green ;)

From kennedyhalfguide.com

I suppose we could argue that the Kennedy Half isn't a commemorative half, in the traditional sense of the word (though that is, clearly, precisely what it is *heh*)...but I submit that that particular issue, being struck as a matte proof, and included with the RFK dollar, probably qualifies.

11. green18

To me, a commemorative has to be just that. Something which is struck to commemorate a certain person, place or event.

A particular "strike" doesn't qualify......IMHO. :)

12. gboulton

Fair enough. :)

13. green18

Congrats on having one though. I never realized how rare these things are.

14. gboulton

There are other Kennedy halves with higher "grade rarity", but to be sure, that's the rarest in terms of overall mintage.

They aren't, however, terribly hard to find, presuming you're willing to pay for one.

It's one of those things that falls in the category of "you can't really call it a complete set unless..." And that's really their ONLY demand, afaik. Beyond that, it's not a terribly spectacular coin, imo.

15. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Well even though the registries got it wrong IMO as it was issued in a commemorative set only I still think it's one.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

16. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Oh and to get this back on track that Eagle Comm is a rather nice coin to..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. gboulton

I must agree...it's an awfully pretty coin.

Just not silver, as a certain auction site might have you believe.

18. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

I agree as if it was not authorized in silver as quoted .

19. green18

I think I know the auction site you mean. They do it all the time......

Draft saved Draft deleted