proof set unopened

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CCMint, May 27, 2012.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The 1966 and 67 SMS and 1968 and later proof sets also come in boxes. But these boxes are not sealed, the 1950 - 55 boxed proof sets were sealed.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

1955 and before. They switched in 55 and you can get "box" or "flat pack" for 55. Box is small and the coins come in a cellophane and are then folded up to get them into the box

4. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Exactly. This is why these "unopened" sets are nothing but an eBay sales ploy. They were never issued sealed.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I've wondered about that.

6. CamaroDMD

Since they were issued in envelope that had glue on them...it is possible the envelops sealed themselves over time if stored in a high humidity environment. That combined with the sulfur content of the envelopes could lead to some nice toning. However, I would imagine the vast majority of "sealed" envelopes for same online are the proof set equivalent to "unsearched rolls" on eBay.

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

kind of...

In 55 the flat pack proof sets came out later in the year. They were packaged in the same pliofilm packs as the 1956-1964 sets. The boxed sets contained individual pliofilm packs for each coin. They were folded once and stapled together. Many of the coins became badly toned from the staples and so hundreds (if not thousands) of sets were moved to more stable storage.

8. Stang1968

Stang1968 Member

I do not know how the 36-42's were packaged, but its my understanding that they were not sold as pre-assembled sets. Check the mintages out from the various denominations and you'll see its all over the board. You could order just one or two coins if you wanted, or buy them all.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've heard that. I think Doug mentioned that in another thread.

10. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

3/4 of these were true unopened mint sets. at least in the sense that no person outside of the mint had ever touched the envelopes or proof sets inside. still sealed in mint mailing packaging unopened. if you find them like that, then they are sealed mint sets. of course, as soon as you open the mailing packing..........[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

the 1955 through 1959 envelope did not have glue on the edge so it could not be sealed. I believe that envelope continued until at least 1964

12. CamaroDMD

I'll have to go and check the sets I have from the 1950s...I could have sworn they had glue on them.

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Had to have ended before 1960 as my 60-64 proof sets, the envelopes have glue on the flap.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I purchased a 1938 set from a man who bought it direct from the mint. He purchased one of each coin and the coins were still in the plastic envelope folded over and stapled. The envelopes were in a fiber re-enforced manilia envelope, no box. The envelope was also used fror the mailing with his name and address typed on the outside and an 8 cent stamp.

I've never seen an envelope from that era that didn't have glue on the flap.

15. Liberty1913

Liberty1913 Member

I started buying proof sets from the mint in 1961 or 1962. None of the sets were ever sealed or had the flap tuck in. At the same time I was buying proof sets back to 1956 and never saw a sealed set. If anything I would pay far less for sealed set because I want to see the coins I am buying.

Great question!!

16. KTO

KTO Eager to Learn

I just want to share my appreciation to everyone for their posts. Before reading this thread, I not only did not know, but I did not know I didn't know.

Information on what type of packaging you should expect to find for mint issues across the years is certainly good to have before buying, but this is not the kind of information you can otherwise learn from a basic price guide or reference book. Thanks fellow Coin Talk members!
    :thumb:

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

You're :welcome:

18. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I just saw them two good ole boys on TV selling sealed proof sets last night...

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

How much premium were they asking?

Draft saved Draft deleted