proof set unopened

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CCMint, May 27, 2012.

1. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

How much of a premium should proof sets with the manila envelope sealed have over an opened set?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i wouldnt pay a premium for it, id rather see what im getting unless i were looking for errors. im sure some people are willling to pay a premium however.

4. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

it just seems logical that there should be a premium though.

5. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Not to me - envelopes are too easy to open and reseal - especially if they were opened years ago

6. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

i know what you are saying ccmintt and im sure some collectors are willing to pay a premium for them im just not one of those collectors lol

7. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Are you buying or selling?
    If buying, not worth it.
    If selling, hype for the best price.

8. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

Neither. It was just a hypothetical question. Also, when did the mint abandon the manila envelopes?

9. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

I have, and would happily again, pay a premium for an unopened mint or proof set of certain years, for exactly the reason cciesielski01 suggested..errors or varieties. Most recently, I paid about a 10% premium for some unopened '64 proof sets, in search of an AH Kennedy.

Beyond that, like the others, opened or unopened proof set is of no difference to me.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There's no such animal as an unopened proof set unless we're talkin' pre-pilofilm days and they're suspect too. The sets in the brown manila envelopes came from the mint unsealed. If they're sealed today it's because they were stored in an high humidity environment or somebody purposely wet the glue on the envelope.

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Sealed or not I think the most important aspect are the coins itself. There are some coins in the packaging that looks really bad. Then there are always some that are nicely toned.

12. softmentor

softmentor Well-Known Member

That is correct. the original brown / manilla envelopes were never sealed by the mint. "sealed" on older sets usually is hype and actually means that it's still in the original cellophane. and going further back to the boxes, there were a LOT of 1951 and 1955 box sets that were opened and resealed, so many that it is noted. Looking for things like 1955 double die or other errors and varieties (as already stated) or even swapping out inferior coins such as circulated business strikes. Just wanted to add that there was a LOT of that done.
    Moving up to much more modern sets that are shipped in individual cardboard boxes. There are some sets sold as 'still in the box' unopened. That is not of any value at all unless there is a known variety or error, such as a "no S" coin known for that year. Even then, why pay a premium for an unlikely maybe You will wind up with a lot of standard sets that you paid too much for. If you want the error set, pay for one and get a sure thing, or just pay a fair price for a known standard set.
    "unopened" and "unsearched" are not value added, they are caution lights.

13. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

Well, I never knew the mint didn't seal them. Did they at least tuck the flap in?

14. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

The brown envelopes for the silver proof sets were selling for around $3 on eBay. Seriously I doubt anyone would even buy a sealed brown envelope. They would want to be sure there were the coins inside it.

But I know a guy who bought a new TV off the back of a truck, and when he got it home the box was full of rocks and junk. So maybe there are people who would buy a coin set without verifying it's contents ? But most collectors would want proof of the coins. We are not envelope collectors, mostly.

And without demand, there ain't gonna be much premium, IMHO

gary

15. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That happened to my uncle 35 or 40 years ago. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Some years back you could buy new envelopes for proof sets. You probably still can. Folks were making up large groups of sealed 64 proof sets to sell on ebay. Those looking for the AH half were all over it.

17. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

$0.00

Since those were not sealed by the Mint when they were shipped out. If they are sealed today, it is more likely than not they were sealed recently on purpose, or humidity softened the glue on the envelope enough to have sealed that way.

18. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

1965, they used a white envelope.

1966 the Mint came out with the plastic lenses and have been using those ever since for the proof sets.

19. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

Learn something new every day. Thanks, guys!

20. CCMint

CCMint Tempus fugit

So when were the boxes used?

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

1950-1955. I'm not sure about the '36-'42 proofs

Draft saved Draft deleted