Proof Sacagawea $1 Weird Edge

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ChristopherCollectsCoin, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

I had this proof for a bit now and I've always wondered what these lines are on the edge, there's 3 and the look like die cracks. Yes, I'm sure they aren't scratches.
    Has anyone seen this before? Is this normal for these proofs?

20200924_172855.jpg 20200924_172832.jpg 20200924_172544.jpg 20200924_172519.jpg 20200924_172415.jpg

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Caused by the collar die, which is in three sections and makes the lettering on the edge.

4. ChristopherCollectsCoin

I'm assuming that's somewhat common for a business strike, but for a proof?

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Coins are made the same way but with differently worked dies.

Penny Luster likes this.
  6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Business strike "golden" dollar coins are struck in a two step process. the coin is struck with a blank retaining collar in the press, then it is run through the edge lettering machine under pressure and rolled over the edge lettering die, there are no seams on the business strikes. this is done for speed.
    The die looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Proof strike "golden" dollar coins are struck with a one step process, the collar in the press has 3 segments, each segment leave a line where they meet.
    I will update if I can find a picture of how this collar die set up looks. I know i've seen it, but can't find it right now.

the seams on your proof coin are normal for proofs, there is 3 of them from where the the segments meet.

7. ChristopherCollectsCoin

Huh, I always thought of them as die cracks. Thank you for the bit of knowledge though. I couldn't find any information on it at all. I only saw one listing on Ebay for a business strike for like 60 bucks with the same thing.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

.... the Enhanced Uncirculated 2015-W for instance is struck with the proof method on the 3 segmented collar die with the edge lettering for collectors. probably all enhanced uncirculated "golden" dollars are, but I can't confirm that.

no idea what you saw on ebay, but I can go looking :)

9. ChristopherCollectsCoin

Sorry, it was a proof, but this is what I was talking about.

Screenshot_20200925-134255_eBay.jpg

But now I know. That will be there for a long while on Ebay.

Draft saved Draft deleted