Proof Reverse 1969-D Washington

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow does not understand why that could be a proof. Please explain further.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

NICE! Even the "GREATS" find occasional treasure in pocket change. Love it!!! Man, if it wasnt so beat to death. How that eye popping doubling made it so long without someone snatching it up. Gives us all faith!!!!

5. MatrixMP-9

Meow....I couldnt resist. This is for you. You see the cat??? Hes riding a rocket backwards! Good question by the way..I wouldnt be able to tell it was a proof.

cat.jpg

MeowtheKitty and Rick Stachowski like this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

7. MeowtheKitty

8. Rick Stachowski

Sure. Here's the Description:
    Leaves in front of arrow points rise above the tips.
    SingleShot0006-1969-d-11.jpg

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Now that you point it out, a five-year old child could see it...go get me a five-year old child...:)

10. MeowtheKitty

Thanks. Is that the only major point to look for? But geez, Meow did not know about this. Who knows how many proof reverse quarters Meow set back to wild after CRH it.

11. MeowtheKitty

OK, so Meow just did some CRH to look for this. Meow has this, but is not sure about it. Is it the same? WIN_20191104_19_33_58_Pro.jpg

12. Rick Stachowski

Not a proof reverse .
    Last year for a proof reverse, on a business strike was 1972 ...

13. MeowtheKitty

So the leaf needs to go even higher? Is that the only indicator?

14. MatrixMP-9

Meow...I may be wrong because Im learning too but look at the link Rick shared for "design varieties" a few posts up. Over the years, the reverse has very small changes due to die pressures and other things that can cause slight differences.

quoted from VV below...

The changes to the reverse design seem to be the result of adjusting the striking pressure and die relief for the very high mintages of the modern era.

Not all are "proof" reverses (none after 1972)...some are just minor differences. They color code on that link the approximate rarity of those "varieties". I am nowhere near being able to actively "hunt" for these types of varieties. On some of them, it looks no different to the untrained/novice eye than just PMD. Rick has been doing this a really long time and its amazing he can spot this kind of thing casually. This is ONLY my opinion but I wouldnt get too upset with yourself over sending quarters back into the wild without checking for this before you knew about it.

Reminds me of the old Highlights kids magazines from childhood..."can you spot the differences"?

15. MeowtheKitty

Hello, Have we spoken before? Meow does not remember you if we did. But anyway, thanks for your input. Yes it is very hard to find some things. There have been documented doubled dies some have found and shown here, that Meow cannot see. Meow has been getting better at it the more Meow CRHs, but some stuff might just be beyond a Cat's comprehension.

16. MeowtheKitty

Oh, and by the way. Meow sees that your avatar is playing what looks like a Jackson Rhodes with classic pinstriping. Meow is a Jackson Kitty, and has a RR5FR Rhodes and a Yellow Bengal KV2. Even a Jenna Jameson Rhodes. Do you swing the same kind of axes?

17. MatrixMP-9

Now thats a pretty good eye! I had no idea. I use the Avitar because The character butters has one heck of an imagination and I admire that. My son plays guitar quite well...although Im not a fan of the type of music he plays, Im a fan of his.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted