Proof or Uncirculated

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by capthank, Sep 22, 2018.

1. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

How do you distinguish between a proof coin or uncirculated coin other than blemishes from striking other coins?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Depends on the series and date. Each series/date can have different diagnostics to tell if business strike or proof.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The rim would be key to knowing. A Proof strike will have a nice, flat, squared rim and business strikes usually do not. This is because the proof coin is struck several times to give the frosted relief and mirrored background or fields.

5. capthank

I know they polish the planchet. I s the strike on a proof heavier than a business strike? I reading a little book from the mint on how gold double eagle is minted

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yes, more pressure and multiple strikes to get the coin to look Proof.

7. capthank

Thanks, think I am getting it now.

8. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Proof are generally have got a frosted look about them where unc dont...In general most collectors will not place a proof coin in their collection.
    Attached are some examples of proof items... Notice the frosting. 1976_CookIslandsGoldCoinPP.JPG Fiji_1980ProofSetPP.JPG

Attached Files:

onecenter likes this.
  9. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

On top of all that, occasionally you will find proof sets with coins inside the plastic casing on an angle. They are known as turned. The hold a significant decrease in price.....Notice my fiji set are all up straight?? The queens head on the cook islands gold coin is pointing to 11.30 on the clock....That would give it about 15% decrease from book price as it is not as it was minted...

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Proof coins are usually distinguished by several features, including 1) a "mirror" finish background or field which will reflect objects 2) very strong features from the increased pressure and number of strikes and 3) the squaring off of the coins rim rather than the chamfered edge found on business strikes. Matte finish proof coins will not have the mirrored background and the cameo of the devices is not always found in older proofs.

Cheech9712 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. capthank

The pictures really help me, I'll try to distinguish the squaring as opposed to chamfered edge.

12. robec

robec Junior Member

The fields are more mirror like than those made for circulation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

onecenter and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I think Franklin haves show the distinction better than most other series. Business strike Franklins tend to have mushy design features.

robec likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Always remember that 'proof' is not a condition, it's a method of manufacture. Proof coins are struck on highly polished planchets and dies that receive multiple strikes. Business strikes get one shot at it. Proofs, in many cases will exhibit mirror like fields and frosty devices...........the rims will be squared off and well defined. The higher relief of the strike will be most evident as opposed to business strike coins which are mostly low relief (moderns).

TheFinn and Cheech9712 like this.
  15. capthank

Those are very nice

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sometimes you find proof coins in the wild...stolen collection or a mistake. These are referred to as "impaired" proofs since they will almost undoubtedly have some dings. I remember finding a proof Eisenhower while sorting through some and it was unmistakeable.

17. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Just remember for re-sale, a collector will not want a proof coin...They would prefer out of an unc set as the frosting will be like a sore or black eye to the others in the collection....You will find some dates were made not issued for general circulation and the only way to obtain them loosely will be from an unc or proof set....STAY AWAY FROM THE PROOF ITEM...It is hard to sell on the 2nd hand market...If you want a good example, look at the 1985 Australian 5c coin or nickel. That was the only coin in that year issued that did not go into circulation and many sets have been destroyed because of it.. I can honestly say i have destroyed hundreds of sets because of this and the rest went individually into ebay at 99c each as i made my money from the nickel. However you will be the best judge on what you do.

18. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Here’s an example using older cents. The mirror finish of the proof is obvious compared to the business strike.

If you look closely at the fields of the top coin you can see irregularities in the field under the Lincoln Memorial. Most likely they are left over from using the unpolished planchet.

01c 1961 full 01.gif
    01c 1961 PF full 01.gif

green18, Cheech9712 and onecenter like this.
  19. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing your logic in staying away from Proof coins. Many of us collect Proof coins that go into our albums every year, along with the uncirculated ones. Also, why do you think Proof coins are not resalable? I do not collect as sets and break all of mine down every year for my albums. Those I do not need are very resalable for me. I have had no problem with this.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

The only proof rim strike that i can tell are on the cents. Pictures with silver fields are hard for me.that 57 Benjamin is not a good rim example if you asked me. IMO

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah. I agree. Thats clear

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted