Proof Or Polished

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Roger Sosnowski, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Hi Everyone,

. I think I posted this previously under the wrong forum so I'm adding it here,lol. I could really use some help with this coin. I purchased it as a 1936 Washington Proof--but never really thought it was a proof. I have taken it to 4 different coin shows and several dealers at each show to get their opinions. All of them said it was polished but they were split on whether or not it was a polished proof or a polished business strike. The other thing is the nasty scratch(gouge) on the right side. It's only seen at certain angles and isn't contiguous from the rim inward. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Roger

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Just polished I believe. The details on a proof are generally extremely sharp as is the rim.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

My bet would be a polished business strike.

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yeah - unfortunatly polished. You can really tell on the reverse as the fields of the coin are rough and uneven.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yup, polished

7. Thanks for everyone's replies so far. Any thoughts on that scratch? Also I was hoping to figure out if it was a business or proof strike. I know the photo's aren't that great. If I compare the details to another proof of mine(a 1937 which is genuine) the details look the same to me.

8. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

When you see a halo around the devices, it shows where they couldnt get the polishing wheel into those cracks and crevices. You can see it real well around IN GOD WE TRUST.

19Lyds likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Many times people believe a proof is distinguished from a business strike just by the shiny reflective surfaces, but it is a different mint process and preparations. The proof coins are very sharped detailed, carefully handled, with generally right angle edges, rather than the beveled edges of the business strikes ( so they can easily be used in vending machine mechanisms) which are dumped in large bags.

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Absolutely!

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Polished business strike. Strike quality isn't good enough for a proof.

And at least we are consistent, no one here seems to think it's a polished proof.

Draft saved Draft deleted