Proof or Business Strike?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Johns, Sep 20, 2016.

1. howards

howards Shield Nickel Nut

Lighting. Another example of cameras playing funny trick on us.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Which Fletcher# on the 83/2 obverse? Need help seeing it. :sorry:

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They weren't a "mint" but they were striking coins. (Which begs the question what are things that look like coins but which weren't struck at an official "Mint"?)

If that were true it MIGHT explain the SMS 64 Kennedy's but not the rest of the SMS coins. Mrs Kennedy wasn't approving those designs.

Jim Johns likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

What's the current thinking for how many 1964 SMS coins EXIST? I don't mean found and identified, so much, but how many were likely MADE?

6. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I,ve read there were 10-15 sets total, but far fewer have surfaced. Maybe 10 of the Kennedys exist.

7. V. Kurt Bellman

So then do the math. How minuscule are the chances? Yet still they come. :rolleyes: Better to buy lottery tickets than try to find the remaining "special" 1964's.

8. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Check this one out. On eBay right now as a "Semi Proof Like".. looks a lot like the SP Quarter pictures. Just my opinion at least.

Attached Files:

9. V. Kurt Bellman

"Semi Proof Like" is an EBay "weasel word" designed to con the unwary. There is no such thing. Either it is PL, or it is not. This one is not. This is a plain old ordinary MS65, PERIOD!

10. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

lol...I meant that from the die polish striations and the fact that his description was dead on without even implying special strike. It was also photographed by DM Rare Coins so I assume he's pretty good at his job. You can see what it looks like and quite honestly it looks better than the SP Designated Quarters to me.

11. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I'm not sure if you're terribly familiar with the SP, but PCGS and Heritage have also described them as the same as that awful eBay Weasel. Are they all jokers and liars then?

12. V. Kurt Bellman

How many MS65 silver quarters have you looked at IN YOUR OWN HANDS WITH YOUR OWN EYES LIVE IN PERSON? A few? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands? It takes at least a mid three-digits number before you're ready to make a statement like the above. There are no shortcuts.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

SP means "Specimen", NOT semi-prooflike. Semi Proof Like is merely a marketing pitch word.

Point in fact, sometimes Specimen and Semi-prooflike can be POLAR OPPOSITES in appearance, such as the 1994 and 1997 SP Jefferson nickels. No one would ever describe them as proof like, unless it was Matte Prooflike.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  14. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Listen man..calm down. If you read the description on every HA auction, or on PCGS, or in Coin World...you will see what I'm saying here. I don't care how many million 1964 Quarters you have looked at in regards to their explanation and description. I already said it sounds fishy. In my opinion, the SP's are either hyped up coins of the same quality as the one pictured above or their just perfect fake coins that someone perfected back in the 90's, knowing there was no way to ever know a real number on how many were struck, if any at all. I'm not defending the SP or this guy's MS65 Quarter. I'm actually trying to agree with how easy a "credible source" can twist a$50 coin into a $3k coin. They stated in an auction the SP Quarter Variety is attributed by "the top 2 arrows on the reverse not quite touching the leaves". Now tell me how many MS65's you've seen in your triple digits to admit that's some BS. I've seen enough to know that is very common on them. Sure you have too.

15. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

I am Highly aware of that! This is a useless conversation as you clearly think I have a touch of the downs or something.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

Maybe more than just a touch.

17. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

You wanna see a real joker!? Search 1964 SMS Half Dollar and look at the huckster selling his "SMS" Half Dollar for $2500 because of the "dead giveaway orange toning"

18. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

lol you're ridiculous. I'm not even right when I agree with you on it being a ridiculous sales pitch. You write the descriptions for them or something?

Attached Files:

19. V. Kurt Bellman

Actually I do like to dabble in writing "catalog speak", because I find it amusing to reveal the ridiculousness of it. It's fun.

By the way, that description you showed us is not up to snuff. The color words are too ordinary.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

Let me get this straight. A 1964 SMS half dollar claiming orange toning as a marker for SMS status?!? That IS a new one; first I've heard of.

First off, if I had a certified 1964 SMS half, I might let you HOLD it for $2500, but not keep it.

21. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Yep he says "All the Tell Tale Signs" are right there to be had. "Its obvious from the orange circle toning around the rim".That's just the Get It Now option starting bid is only $250! Better jump on it before it's gone!

Draft saved Draft deleted