Proof or Business Strike?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jim Johns, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

So I have this set of 1964 Coins that came in a snap lock coin holder with the cardboard insert that just said United States Mint Set. It was only the 5 coins pictured and did not have the Denver coins with it. I would assume they were proofs but they don't have a mirrored field on any of the 5 coins. They actually have a shiny, polished look to the devices while the fields have a luster that's not quite frosted, yet not mirrored either. Either way they're nice but I would like opinions because I really don't want to bother having them graded if they're going to come back proofs. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

They are Mint State. Save your money for more coins as IMO these are not "special" enough to be graded.

4. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

You don't think they'd at least make a decent full set of MS65's? I don't think they're special I just really like the look of them. They all toned really nice in the holder they arrived in.

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Jim Johns likes this.
  6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The set was put together by someone other than the US Mint. the coins could be proofs, or uncs, or a mix of both.

They don't look exceptional in any way...

7. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

No way....I mean that would just be too good to be true..

8. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

This is the original holder they came in. Not sure if it's anything useful and the coins in this picture is from a different set I have, but this is what they arrived in. I switched them to the other holder in the pictures. I have a 1964 Proof set and none of these coins pictured match them. That's why I asked.

Attached Files:

9. mikenoodle

what would be too good to be true?

10. mikenoodle

The holder is also of non-Mint issue. The set was assembled aftermarket and as such, can contain virtually anything.

The coins that you pictured earlier don't look exceptional to me.

If you'd like a nice set of 1965 MS-65 coins, maybe you should find some that are already certified, or even use those coins for reference when you search for MS-65s of your own.

11. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Rick said they looked like an SMS Set. I've bought so many 1964 sets searching for SMS I've finally came to terms with never finding one. They're certainly different but I can't tell how. Is PCGS the only company that will Attribute them as SMS, if they were SMS?

12. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Mike...no offense and with all the respect in the world..you told me a few days ago my Morgan was nowhere near Proof Like and got schooled pretty quickly. Any other opinions?

13. rickmp

I also changed my mind. Go back and see the edit.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Am I seeing things or is that a broken leg on the "I" in LIBERTY on the Kennedy half? Isn't that only found on the "Accented Hair" variety of the proof?

Chris

15. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Yes Rick, I said no way before you even changed your mind. It was an honest question regarding proof or MS. Nothing more.

16. rickmp

Yes, it is. Accented Hair variety.
    [​IMG]

17. mikenoodle

If you have any questions about my knowledge or my reputation, feel free to ask. Also understand that as an internet forum, you will find many answers, right wrong and mixed.

You say I got schooled, I say we have a difference of opinion. I don't feel the need to spout my credentials, but I do feel that you're kind of rude and I wouldn't expect any more of my opinions on your coins in the near future.

KoinJester, phankins11 and Caleb like this.
  18. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

It doesn't look to have the broken stars on the reverse though?

19. rickmp

You haven't shown us the reverse yet.

20. Jim Johns

Jim Johns Active Member

Mike I wasn't trying to be rude. And by saying to just buy some certified Gems was rude on your part. It was an honest question. Sorry.

21. mikenoodle

let's start over... I was suggesting that if you are interested in higher graded coins that you look at some that are already certified to familiarize yourself with the criteria needed for those grades.

That way when examining your own coins, you might have a better idea of whether or not they have what it takes to make the grade.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Mickey in PDX likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted