Proof Morgan MS 70 4 Coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dan Galbato, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

2 2023Morgan and 2 Peace dollars. Low mintage numbers with two ultra proof ms70 cameo and two ms 70 Morgan dollars. NGC rated. Cost $798. Are offers like this a good investments?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Not in my book.

You’re paying now for appreciation that will arrive 25-50 years from now.

On the other foot…you will have something of low mintage/high condition that few others will…imo…Spark

4. robec

robec Junior Member

You can get one pair on eBay for around $250. Two pair would be around $500. Save yourself $300 and get them there.

eddiespin and Dan Galbato like this.
  5. Dan Galbato

Both answers make perfect sense! I guess I’m just a sucker for eye candy.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

The thing I've learned with mint products in the last few years is if you wait a while prices come down on most of them.

Inspector43 and Dan Galbato like this.
  7. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

No reason to pay a grading premium on these coins. If you like the proof finish they can be purchased in the original government packaging for no more than $100 each at today’s prices.

8. Dan Galbato

I purchased two coins last night. One cameo proof 70 and one proof 70. Both were PCGS graded and if $100 dollars is the going rate, I got them fully graded, cased, and first day for like $15 ea. I'm glad I asked the question here! Down the road, I think, a graded coin will sell easier for one of my grandkids. Thanks for your help. Love this place!

Dynoking and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is better to look upon these pieces as a way to store wealth rather than an investment. There are far more lucrative investment options available. Sometimes we get lucky with our coin purchases and they do afford us a decent return. More often than not though, they do not. As far as storing some wealth, they are a perfect tool.

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

TPG's started out as services to authenticate coins. These days they are primarily for labeling so a person can claim that "my coin is better than yours". @Dynoking said it well - you can get them in original packaging for a lot less money. And, as @Jeffjay says, the prices will come down. The only thing missing is evidence that mine is better. But, is that really important? Not to me.

11. Dan Galbato

Not sure Jay. What I heard was these coins were going to be minted in low production numbers? If true, value should go up.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Dan Galbato

In 75 years, none of this will matter to any of us. In 25 years it might matter to one of my great grandkids. Today, I'll enjoy looking at it and knowing, in 100 years, coin collecting will still be a good hobby!

13. robec

robec Junior Member

If these proofs are the US Mint Morgan or Peace proofs from 2023, specifically the 2023-S proofs, they are all Deep Cameo or Ultra Cameo depending if they are PCGS or NGC graded.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not at $200 each.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  15. Dan Galbato

PCGS deep cam proof 70. Don’t know the difference between ultra and deep or if one is better then the other.

16. robec

robec Junior Member

Ultra and Deep are the same. NGC uses Ultra and PCGS uses Deep. Those are the best cameos. The next step down is just Cameo.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  17. Dan Galbato

$115 ea plus shipping. The sales pitch from the boobtube was looking for $200 each.

18. robec

robec Junior Member

Issue price directly from the mint was $85. Add grading fees, which is around $20-$25, and a couple dollars to the seller and you are coming out pretty good.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  19. Dan Galbato

My favorite is the walking Liberty in cameo. I saw a 2022 w pr70 cameo listed and will add one later.

robec likes this.
  20. robec

robec Junior Member

There is also a 2022-S. These are all Deep Cameo.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  21. robec

robec Junior Member

Dan Galbato likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted