Proof Like ATB quarters.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rickmp, Jan 20, 2016.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

That's ludicrous. Reality decides if a given coin is PL, not PCGS. Of course, it's typical of their arrogance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Well how much do you want for them? I'd say throw them on eBay for whatever you want to get for them and see what happens. Or sell them to me ;)

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I did.
    What's your offer? (Not really. I know the rules here)

5. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Wait did they already sell? I can't find them...

6. rickmp

After 9 tonight.

7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Since I have a whole roll of PL S Great Basins and 4 more rolls I ordered at the same time, but haven't checked, I wonder if they're really all that rare. Are most of the S mint business strikes sitting in unchecked rolls?

Anyone compare the proofs to the S business strikes to see if there are differences in the dies, so that one could say definitively a proof die was used or not?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  8. rickmp

Mine are from Denver.
    NGC census does not report any SFs as PL.

9. statequarterguy

Thanks.

I'll have to put that on my to do list. There are sometimes or often differences in proof dies and business strike dies.

rickmp likes this.
  10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

In modern times, proof dies are not often used on business strikes. This was common in the 19th century, but not now. "Old Proof Dies" wouldn't explain the very large number of D mint PLs - proofs aren't minted there.

Modern dies are chrome plated and polished before being put into use. Because of this, the first group of strikes are PL (or DMPL, if you're lucky).

11. statequarterguy

True, but it would be interesting to determine if there are differences in the AtB quarter proof and business strike dies, other than prep, as it would not be impossible for the SF mint to use old or reject proof dies for business strikes.

Granted, it may just be my roll is from fresh business strike dies. If I get around to it, I'll try to take some pics. These coins may just be DMPL, as they have heavily frosted devices and mirrored fields. When I first opened the roll, I thought, oh heck, the mint is going to start using old proof dies for the S mint business strikes, there goes the appeal of a true business strike S mint.

Draft saved Draft deleted